Clinton named secretary of state

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Dec 1, 2008.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe Stevento will now come to grips that she won't be President. :eek:

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Heehee! I was just thinking the same thing. :) Really though, didn't we know this pretty much already? I thought I heard this about two weeks ago. Anyway, not too surprising.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Technically, she can become President if Obama, Bieden, Pelosi and Robert Byrd all die. The Secretary of State is 4th in line for Presidential succession.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Actually she will become fourth in line, after the VP, the Speaker of the House and President Pro tempore of the Senate!

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I knew that. ^^ ;)

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

<hide the knives> (A remnant of an iGary reply.) ;)

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Fill in conspiracy theories here:

:eek:

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

That's nice to hear about Hillary Clinton getting Secretary of State. Now I hope the news agencies don't go overboard like (IMO) they did with the Obama's daughters and what school will they be attending. It was cute in the beginning/first reporting.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Bill must have agreed to some pretty stringent reporting requirements viz-a-vis the CGI and his speaking agenda and library donors.

Of course, he owed Hillary a pretty big favor...

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I doubt anyone cares, especially the constitutional law professor we just elected into office come January, but this might not be entirely legal:

source

Cabinet members are paid according to Executive Schedule Level I(source).

2007 Executive Level I salary - $186,000
    2008 Executive Level I salary - $191,300

As Congress also passed a bill for increasing pay for these positions into 2009, it would seem as though Hillary is ineligible to jump horses in midstream as it were.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He did agree to having all donors published, both now and for as long as H is in the Cabinet, and to clear all business deals and speaking engagements with the WH beforehand, which shows some pretty tough dealing by BO. Good to see.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

But at this point they are merely nominees for the posts. Presumably they must resign their elected offices prior to being confirmed.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This issue has come up before, and Congress has always managed to find a way to "make it legit" for members of both parties. One way is to refuse the raise, IIRC.

And really, this does seem like an anachronistic law, doesn't it?

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The point presumably was that the emolument for the office has been increased during her term as Senator...

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes, I see the point now. This probably happens quite frequently though, so I suspect the Constitutional prohibition isn't so clear.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It must be so. I'm sure a quick search would find it happens more often than not.

19. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Really? When? Besides, wasn't Hillary all about staying in the Senate in the first place? Apparently you can't trust anything that comes out of her mouth.

I'll loan you a bucket if you promise to share your cherries.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Surely a strict construction of this rule would debar any Senator or Representative from the Presidency itself if the emolument had increased during their tenure?

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The language is "appointed to any civil office," which presumably does not include elected offices. If that were the case, virtually no member of Congress could run for the presidency since I think it's fair to assume that the salaries for these positions are often increased during any given session of Congress.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

One thing you're forgetting. Obama has only nominated her. That does not mean that she has accepted the position, which would mean both saying 'yes', and confirmed through the Senate. Only then would she have gone back on what she said. Until then and until she has the office and title, she is still a US Senator.

BL.

23. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Bolded the operative word there. Hilary does not apply in this law. :p

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, the don't call it the Saxbe Fix for nothing. But Nixon isn't the only POTUS to have gotten appointees around this Constitutional requirement.

LOL! You wouldn't have trusted a word from her mouth anyway, would you? Go ahead, be honest.

Also, isn't it a little presumptuous to say "yes I really WOULD like a cabinet position in Obama's administration" before it's been offered?

I suppose it's easy to avoid this rule if you appoint your Texas homeboys (and girls), and various horse lawyers and other assorted folks whose only qualifications are extreme personal and ideological loyalty to Dear Leader...

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

According to the NYT, she'll take it if she can. link

Well, if she said the sky was blue, and it was a sunny day and I had my windows open, then maybe.

You're assuming that I agreed with those decisions. I'm going to assume you know what assuming does so we'll be on equal footing.