Clinton, Obama to huddle

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 10, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, just brilliant. :rolleyes::eek: Clinton all over again. Why did we even bother electing Obama?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/10/clinton-obama-to-huddle/

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because his opponent was a crazed, senile lunatic with someone dumber than a bag of rocks for his running mate.

We don't vote for the best person in America, we vote for the lesser of two evils. It's been like that for decades.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Which, ironically, is the same reason many give for voting for McCain ;)

4. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

It's important politically for Obama to at least demonstrate that he tried to shift gears since the last swing election. In two years he'll have to deflect attacks that he screwed up in the first two years (leading to massive defeat in the elections) and then proceeded to change nothing in the following two years. It will be important for Obama to say he 'made an effort' towards appeasing the other side so he can peg them as unwilling to bend at all to come to an agreement. Clinton did this masterfully in 94 and it led to his reelection in 96. You have to remember, America is a center-right country with FAR more people associating themselves with conservatism than liberalism. Ignoring this fact would be a risky maneuver Obama would likely not politically survive.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the only way big US politics will be forced to change is with voting for other parties

imagine the democrats or republicans in a coalition negotiation with a smaller independent party ;)

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The devil will be wearing ice skates on that day.

8. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Agreed exactly

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If Obama moves any further to the center he'll be right wing. His rhetoric was slightly progressive, but his actions have been centrist through and through.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No- his actions have been right wing. Even the health care law is right wing, as it reflects the exact thing Mitt Romney did in Massachusetts.

Obama has not done one thing left of center. We need a new candidate come 2012.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

true ;) but even a minor sucess at an election could really turn things around in the US if it's, as usual, a close election

those who think today about voting independent should at least try to remember that next time an election is on the schedule, and not fall back into the "i want to vote for a possible winner" mentality

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Probably because more people are concerned with consumption and wealth than they are social issues and sustainability.

I'll agree with you 5P... we are a shallow and greedy culture.

Nice call.

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Because conservatives are shallow and greedy?

I think in the end the only thing people are concerned about is their own survival.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- for once, we can all agree on that.

15. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I don't think a huddle with Clinton is a bad thing. Clinton is a very smart guy.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- he'll teach Obama how to be smarter at being wimpy. He was really good at giving Republicans everything they wanted too.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Certainly "America" is.

How you choose to divvy it up beyond that is up to you.

18. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Do you simply ignore all the proven facts which demonstrate the exact opposite of your suggestion? Do you just ignore the fact that conservatives are FAR more charitable with their own money (and blood, time, etc.) than liberals are, and that Americans willingly give away a higher percentage of their income than any other country in the world? Do you just ignore these things, or are you simply unaware?

[​IMG]

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This has already been proven to be a canard. If it walks like a duck...

20. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Actually, what has been proven is that even without religious charities, religious people and conservatives give far more of their money to secular causes as well, including things like giving blood, etc.

I realize you desperately want it to be a canard so you can attempt to protect your fragile world view which hopelessly attempts to portray conservatives as heartless bastards... but sometimes facts are stubborn. ;)

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm afraid your obsession with partisan point-scoring has blinded you to the international comparison I was taking issue with. The US does not measure up well in international league tables. Nice attempt at flogging a dead horse, though. Fragile world view? Don't make me laugh!

22. mcrain, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

(edit) In my desire to respond to something silly, I took us more off topic. Please feel free to delete this post Mods.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Please don't start with this again. Keep it on topic, or get reported. The choice is yours.

BL.

24. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Frightening. :eek: :rolleyes:

Actually, your post is more off-topic than mine is, and don't try to say you were just 'responding to me' as I was just 'responding' to citizenzen' inaccurate claim regarding the shallowness and greed of conservatives Americans... which he used as evidence of us being a center-right country which was integral to the topic at hand regarding Obama's political reasons for embracing Clinton.

My post was perfectly on topic as it pertained to arguments being made regarding the political affiliation of the country. Your post is simply threatening and trollish.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Centrism is always derided by the political extremists. Currently, the political environment seems too polarized for compromise.

However, the best politicians are builders of effective coalitions, not heavy-handed power-wielders. I applaud Obama's attempts to compromise and think that both Republicans and Democrats who reject his attempts out of hand are poisoning the process. However, Obama needs more fire in his belly, I want to see him fight one or two picked battles to further his platform.

Republicans can choke congress with filibusters, but they themselves cannot get anything done without the support of democrats. Their tactics can easily turned on themselves at a later date. The citizenry do not benefit from this state of affairs.