Clinton Popular Vote Margin Tops 2 Million

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jpietrzak8, Nov 23, 2016.

1. jpietrzak8, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016

jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

2. macmee Suspended

macmee

3. jpietrzak8 thread starter macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's interesting that the Electoral College is specified in the U.S. Constitution while the popular vote isn't even mentioned.

5. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

And the electoral vote is still what matters, so why is this still an issue? Hillary already conceded. It's done and over with.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think it is important for Americans to understand how tilted their election system is, and don't read that as a party X over party Y statement.

7. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

It's been this way since the country was founded. She lost and she lost legitimately. Whether the system should be changed or not is another topic entirely. This vote counting is getting old now. He won the electoral vote ... and not by a small margin.

8. jerwin macrumors 68020

Let's force the issue.

https://jillstein.nationbuilder.com/recount

9. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

It's not truly done and over with until after the electoral college votes at the end of December, right?

11. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

She conceded. It's over. This isn't complicated.

12. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Funny...neither the Republican Party nor the Democratic Party are specified in the U.S. Constitution.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

14. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

Bazinga

15. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

Do you think Trump would have made that argument had the position been reversed? Would you have supported him if he had done what he threatened to do before the day of the vote?

16. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

And you know that when the Constitution was written, there was no easy way to count the popular vote, hence they came up with the electoral system.

Now, in current times, we can count the popular vote.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't subscribe the the ridiculous notion that we can tout what a great "democracy" we are when voters in poor errors have to wait hours to vote, no one has the day off to vote, and at the end of the day the popular vote simply doesn't matter.

Seriously, **** clinton, but **** the exceptionalism notion this country holds in it's head while willingly shutting it's eyes to how corrupt it's own system is.

18. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

I don't care what Trump would've said or not said. This is how the system currently works, even though Trump whined about it the entire time. I said nothing about my support of either candidate, so don't go there. There's no mysterious forces at work. It's been this way for over two centuries.

19. profmatt macrumors 68000

profmatt

And my question did not imply your support of any candidate. Chill out.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Stop whining, Hillary lost because she couldn't get enough states on her side.

21. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

Chill pill taken. Sorry if I came off a bit brash.

I didn't say it was perfect and doesn't need to be changed, just that all this moaning about the popular vote changes absolutely nothing. Maybe it can be changed for future elections to come, but right now it's just silly. The election is over. Hillary conceded. There's nothing more to discuss there.

22. aristobrat macrumors G5

I agree with you in that's how it's probably going to pan out, but the 12th Amendment says "The person having the greatest Number of [electoral] votes for President, shall be the President".

Doesn't say a damn thing about "except if the case where the candidate conceded".

23. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

She acknowledged he won and bowed out. There's a lot of things not in the Constitution, such as the two-party system, as was already pointed out.

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Neither is NASA. Your point is?

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Even as a staunch liberal, that question is too speculative (though I'm not stopping anyone from answering it honestly). We just can never know how we'd react in that situation.

Take me for instance. Staunch liberal who voted for Hillary, yet I'm totally okay accepting the results, because that's the system that we have. And I'll admit that if the shoe were on the other foot, and HRC won the electoral vote while trump pulled in 2 million more of the popular, I'd be telling Republicans to go suck eggs.

We know the rules going in. If someone wins according to those rules, that's the breaks. Either change the rules (not bloody likely with the Republicans controlling everything) or abide by them.

The dude abides.