Clinton pushed nonprofits and universities to pay speaking fees beyond what they were accustomed to.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jul 11, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Squeezing universities and nonprofits? The Clintons are pure, unadulterated, lowlife greedheads.

Read the full sordid tale here.

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

And she wonders why tuition is so high. Maybe she wants government to pay tuition so she can charge even more.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I wish it said the names of the nonprofits that paid those fees rather than just the universities so I could make sure I never accidentally donate to them. But shouldn't this make Republicans glad since it is the free market at work?

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's called supply and demand. None of these universities or nonprofits had to agree to the price. If none agreed, her fee would go down. Just as when making an offer on a house. If no one is willing to pay the price and thinks the price is too high, the price will come down.

6. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

But when you artificially inflate the demand for houses with cheap loans (easy money) or artificially increase the budgets of universities with easily accessible student loans (more cheap money) with supply limited, of course the price will go up.

Let's see how much money she would make in a market with real supply and demand, not an overinflated one.

Do you remember what happened to housing when the cheap money crutch was removed?

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Especially when businesses everywhere demand 4 year degrees as minimum qualifiers (the baby boomers were a lot more entitled 40 years ago when it came to freebies as most jobs could be had without one, to say the least), of course colleges will make note because there is no competition for a college degree.

Doesn't matter who holds the loans, that's not the core problem.

Oh, the issue is also about being able - it's not just "willing". But when it comes to necessities, people become forced to considering the alternative choices available. Not much of a choice, is it?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2016 ---
    Big banks got bailed out, is that what happened?

Again, it doesn't matter who owns the loan as any big bank could have taken on the debt and the problem would not be any smaller as a result. Just like ARMs and other dealings, the bank's business is to make a profit. The same is ultimately said for colleges, public or otherwise.

Also, the quality of too many colleges being so low that students, loan holders (government or private, it makes no difference in the end) are all screwed over.

Sheesh, Cook really is a bit correct about the problem with Americans not being good enough to hire... I'll look up the link again later, I think I had posted it once or twice in the recent past anyway.

8. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Big banks got bailed out after the collapse. What happened to cause the boom in housing before? Easy access to credit which created more demand. With limited supply of housing, prices went up.

Same with college tuition and budgets of universities. Your point about 4 year degrees being required only increases demand but the the real culprit is easy money (student loans).

9. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Read the full sordid tale, lol, no agenda there.:rolleyes: Colleges and Universities can always say no.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Again, none of these universities or nonprofits had to pay the price she was asking. Speakers are an optional thing. No school has to have someone like Clinton speak. It's not a requirement. It's an optional thing. Thus the price they paid was entirely in their own hands. Car too expensive? Don't buy it. House too expensive? Don't buy it. Contractor bid too high? Go with someone else. Same principle here.

I find it interesting that people are rah rah rah on capitalism all the time on this board. But when someone they don't like actually employs capitalism to negotiate the best salary for the demand, all of a sudden it's horrible.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Clinton should be in jail, that said I agree with zioxide.

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

From the article:

If Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter were getting $60,000 - then it hardly seems unreasonable that, at the time, Bill Clinton could command more than that. Clinton was a much more engaging and interesting speaker than either of the other people mentioned. He had more "star power."

If you want a no-name cover band to play your wedding, you can get the job done for a couple thousand bucks. But if you want Jay-Z or Beyonce? Its gonna set you back a million or two.

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Fixed that for local experience... and last wedding I went to I took seven lasagnas from my kitchen to more or less cover the food. I think someone else brought a carload of nicely barbequed chickens. We roll with cheap around here! I told myself I'd never eat much less prepare lasagna again. I've caved but I make that stuff in 9x9 pans now, maybe once a year.

What this highpriced speakers gig makes me wonder is why, as parents or students either, we should take on college debt at schools with adminsitrators thinking to get such elevated speakers. And why we should donate as alumni for slush funds to cover such events. I'd rather the kids had a pricey calculus professor or some updated lab equipment.

Further, in the cited piece where college spokesmen were saying that elevated speaker fees didn't hit on the school budgets since they were covered by ticket fees and reducing spending on other speakers... say what? Why not use moderately priced speakers at all such events and let the ticket revenue more than cover it and so feed the scholarship funds. I like to know how much those college spokesmen were paid. Maybe there's a place to start cutting costs. I find myself casting an ever more skeptical eye on university administrators now. They have lost sight of education as mission.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you are an alumni of those schools I wouldn't donate, and if they call during a fundraising drive tell them what you won't. They are the proper people to get mad at here as they could have said no, but instead people want to get mad at the Clintons for charging what organizations were willing to pay.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

BREAKING: No one is willing to pay Donald Trump to speak for high fees.

16. unlinked macrumors 6502a

I wonder how Bill managed to rake up a $1400 phone bill in one day.

17. Savor Suspended

Savor

Bill Clinton was the guest speaker in my brother's college graduation a couple months ago. Hillary was there. I wonder how much LMU paid Bill to speak there?

The Beverly Hillbillies didn't last that long on TV. Neither was The Osbournes. We might have the Clintons in the Whitw House for a total of 16 years.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Without commenting on specifics, my university confers honorary degrees on many people each graduation ceremony. Some of them are very modest, and only ask for travel expenses, and they make an effort to engage with our students, faculty and staff. Others *cough* 'require' extortionate fees and treat our staff and students like dirt when they get here. In some cases it has been a real eye-opener. Some elites truly do live in a world in which they believe they are above everybody else and entitled to everything without question, and you'd be surprised at the people that fall into this category.

19. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The part I don't get is why the arrangers don't just get up off the floor after collapsing at the "ask" and say this:

okay what we had in mind was that you get a nominal fee and some free publicity for speaking at our event, and we get a speaker we can afford. We can't afford what you asked. Do you want to propose a different figure, here's the range that we hand in mind, $$whateverA to $$whateverB, or if not then we need to move to other ideas for our speaker at this event. We hope we can work something out here.​

I mean what is difficult to say there. Hell there are lots of good speakers out and about.

This is what happens when a uni or ngo buys forty lab desks or ten thousand copies of acoustic tiles for music studio ceilings, what makes buying a speaker's time any different.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Much of the drive comes from the genuine desire to give the students and their family and friends a day to remember for the graduation. This has led to a honorary degree arms race among universities to attract the most prestigious speakers and honorary degree prospects. Sometimes these speakers say things which gets the university graduation in the news, again increasing its prestige. If these lead to donations during the euphoria of graduation, then the speakers' fees are considered a good investment. This latter point rather corrupts things, although my University is very careful about who we invite for honorary degrees. For instance, we haven't given Trump a degree but a certain other Scottish university did, and regretted it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-35054360.

21. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

tbh i'd rather see a college invite an alumnus who has been of out of school for 15 years and got a job using his major and has racked up some time giving back -- whether professionally or as an avocation. someone a little self deprecating. someone funny. someone who gets up there and says

"you know the first job i had when I got outta here was mowing lawns in a cemetery all summer, which was, you know... relaxing after all that stress finishing school..."

instead of

"I'm so glad to be able to speak to you here today, at the threshhold of your careers..."

Just that I am really tired of the whole celebrity culture thing, I guess. What's real about that to the graduate sitting there in her cap and gown? It's like watching the real president, real governor, real senator or real and really famous movie director on a real TV set.

But if she sees a guy who graduated from her uni 15 years ago, he's not that old, he majored in microbiology and his job is doing research in microbiology and he has some interesting avocation like volunteering w/ an NGO in Africa or someplace... it's real, the path from graduate to established earner is clear, it sounds way better and doable than all the dreary news headlines about post-grad fast food jobs and college debt, and this guy sounds like he's even having fun.

All the arrangers have to do is read the alumni magazine in the Class News section and make a couple phone calls for god's sake, chat up some potential picks, do the filtering out, make an invitation. If they're such a great university they must have some pretty great alumni. I mean what is the message otherwise, "the people who graduated from here are all boring, in prison or dead." ?

They can even pitch it as special. "We were going to invite the Queen but... we found to our delight that our very own alumnus Sammy WhatsHisName was able to join us today."

22. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

1-900 numbers...:oops::D

23. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Those collect calls from Air Lolita really add up.