Clinton suddenly sounds a lot like Trump on trade

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Aug 11, 2016.

1. zin macrumors 6502

Introducing Donald Trump's Hillary Clinton's position on trade.

2. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Stories and plans will always change during a campaign. It's not about the truth or what you plan on doing. It's about saying whatever the crowd you're catering to wants to hear.

3. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

She would eat her own poop for an extra vote.

4. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

But but but today she said she would turn down TPP.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

There is a reason Hillary refuses to release the transcripts from her million dollar speeches. She speaks to the crowd based on their ability to contribute. Says what they want to hear. Always has. Reverse her position? Only if there is $$$ on the table.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think the only good thing that has come out of Trump's campaign is that there are many Americans who have been left behind in the economy, and they feel abandoned, desperate and angry enough to vote for The Bloviator™. This is why Clinton has changed her tune. She is a politcian in a democratic society who is reacting to the will of the voters. Nothing sinister about that...

I think this has uncovered a basic social issue, but it is being lost in the debate about free trade and immigration. People believe they are being left behind due to competition from other people, but actually most manufacturing tasks now can be performed by machines. If even all the US business returned manufacturing to US soil, it doesn't mean the production of huge numbers of blue-collar jobs. So the real question is WTF will we as a society do when machines replace so many blue-collar (and white-collar) jobs that most people would not be able to find a job. I think the first answer is to be the world's producer and maintenance crew of the machines (rather like Germany, Japan, S Korea, Switzerland, etc.), but in the long run eventually the machines will be building each other so there won't be enough work to go around for humans. In all honesty when this happens I'd like to see us kick back and enjoy life while the machines do the work. However, if we take a model if society in which a job equates to a person's value, then we are headed for disaster because the top 1% won't need the bottom 99%.

7. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

#CrapHillarySaystoGetElected

8. Huntn, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hillary is sounding more like Bernie. That's a good thing. I choose to have a sane person executing economic policy, not spending all their time mud wrestling.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think without work i would be bored ********.

10. Limey77 macrumors regular

A lot of this I agree with. However the top 1% will always need the bottom 99% more than we need them.

Without us they have no customers and zero income, zero workforce and only capital expenses.

There needs to be a quantum shift on how "success" is measured. Yes profit is one aspect - but only one and it should not be the most important. The number of people it employs, their average wage, the benefits it provides should all be key markers in "success" but even more importantly is the overall "good" that the company does. So if you're BP and destroying our planet then you can offset that by employing more people with better wages and benefits - but to truly be considered "successful" and worth investing in then you need to repay the damage you do - so maybe 40-50% of profits go to helping communities like the Appalachian states.

Same goes for Walmart and all the rest. Companies need to realise that they have at least us much if not more responsibility to their communities and the world as they do their shareholders.

11. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The Illuminati/Free Masons puppet masters got their strings tangled up. Just goes to show, our 2 party system is a joke.:mad: The illusion of choice, when the only difference is whether you get trampled by the right foot or the left foot.:rolleyes:

I'm voting 3rd party straight down the ballot now.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Don't you find it unsettling that she seems to have no real stance on anything at all. She's like a chameleon.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Isn't that good for a politician? They are supposed to represent the people.

With TTIP and TPP. Given Brexit was over those trade deals to some degree I don't see them going forward with or without Hilary.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I don't think this is good for a politician. If you are a Representative then you should of course represent the majority of your respective district. That's different than being a presidential candidate that changes with any shifting wind.

16. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I know some on the left will not agree, but what Hillary actually believes (not what she says) is a lot closer to Donald than Bernie.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apart from being. You know. Sane
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2016 ---
    I think the EU has probably told Hilary the deal isn't going to happen. I really can't see them doing a deal that millions of their citizens are against and which left wing (pro EU usually) groups will raise a stink over in light of Brexit.

18. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Core beliefs, not actions.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2016 ---
    Yes, all the people. Most politicians only represent their party. Not its members, the party bosses which gives them committee memberships and power.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What are Hilary's core beliefs.

I agree. But if you represent the people you have to change your mind when the people do.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

What makes you think this?

21. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

th.jpeg

This would be a better chameleon.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Well The Donald has NEVER flip-flopped. Never. Many people tell me it's never happened. If you're looking for a flip-flopper , Hillary is UUUUUGE. Donald - he's never done it.

23. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anybody actually believe her? Do people on this forum actually think she won't sign it? Her own VP was praising TPP not even seven days before he was selected as her running mate.

Additionally, there seems to be a strange absence of the folks who claimed Mr. Trump was trying to start a trade war with his position on tariffs. It seems Hillary wants to start some trade wars, too.

24. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

The simple truth is that politicians will say anything that sounds good at the moment to get votes.

The only way to evaluate them is based on what they have done with their official powers leading up to now.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think she will sign it.

There's a difference between a new trade deal and adding tariffs.