Clinton Wins OH, TX and RI - Obama Wins VT

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Unspeaked, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

CNN's projections for all tonight's states are in.

It looks like it was a best-case scenario for Clinton.

Wonder how this changes this going forward?

LINK

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I read an artical tonight that Obama supports had lock out some of Clinton supporters in the caucus in texas. This could lead to a interesting mess.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

This isn't good. At least it was close to 50% each in Ohio and Texas though. I really really hope we don't end up with a Hillary nomination.

4. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

A bummer, but not too terrible in perspective. When is the Texas caucus counted?

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

http://www.kxmb.com/News/215574.asp Clinton could be changenging Texas's caucus results.

Before people bash Clinton on this one I think it is very possible that this happened. Obama supports in Texas has already been caught doing some stupid things, none illegal. just mostly stupid political mistakes) and been much more disorganized over all so this late in the game I would not put it past a lot of people to pull something like this.

Age is a factor. Obama has younger supports and those seem to be more willing to bend the rules.

Looks like Texas may be the Florida for this elections year.

6. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

well i was going to make this post but you beat me to the punch

here is what people here said about hillary's chances:

and look at what happened
    she's got the momentum and as barack fans know, the momentum makes the math
    she's our next president!
    this isn't the first time people said she should just give up and then she threw a victory or two in their faces!!!

7. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I still don't know if I'd give her the nomination - even with tonight's wins she's still going to be viewed as the underdog - but it doesn't leave her campaign dead in the water as would have happened with one or both losses in the night's big contests.

One thing I've been saying for weeks now that people seemed to challenge me on is that Texas was going to come through for Clinton because of the latino population, and that seems to have been the case.

I'm not really a fan of either candidate at this point (nor the GOP), just following the results with a bit of interest and curiosity...

8. Spizzo macrumors 6502

3 out of the last 16 is momentum? :rolleyes:

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It is still pretty much mathematically impossible for her to get the nomination. And due to the way delegates are allocated and Texas's weird primary/caucus hybrid, Obama's still likely to win more delegates in TX. Her campaign is just as finished today as it was yesterday.

She still needs to win something like 70% of the vote in all of the remaining states. Wyoming, Indiana, Mississippi and North Carolina are all polling heavily in Obama's favor. Which means out of the remaining states that she might have a chance at winning, she's going to need even more than 70% of the vote. And that's just to tie Obama, not even pull ahead with any sort of comfortable lead. Give her Michigan and Florida and she's still not going to be able to pull ahead...which, by the way, won't happen unless there's a re-vote which could actually flip the election to Obama or at least obliterate the lead she had

10. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Well, 3 out of the last 4 sounds a lot better...

You mean "not at all"...?

:p

I don't think anyone expected her to pull ahead in delegates after the string of losses she suffered at the hands of Obama the past few weeks, the hope in the campaign lies in showing the super delegates she's a viable candidate.

As much as Obama supporters don't seem to think it's possible, I think there's a small chance (note: not likely, just small) that they'd go against the popular vote and nominate Clinton. You simply can't deny there's a better chance of that occurring after her showing tonight than if everything had gone against her, right?

It's going to mean a lot that she got wins in California, Texas and New York (and arguably Florida). Those are states the democrats have counted on the past two elections and can't afford to lose.

I certainly don't think a Clinton-Obama ticket is as unlikely as it was, say, this time last week...

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I never said she should just give up because she'll lose. However, I must say that I hope she loses.

12. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I love a good message of hope.

:D

13. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

It's weird that Clinton manages to win the big states, and Obama the smaller ones.

After I voted yesterday, I had the feeling that it wouldn't matter and she'd probably win, and I was right.

I hope Obama comes through for the nomination. But knowing our messed up our voting system is, I'm doubting it :(

I think it's time to move away from my idiotic state and to a place with increased intelligence ;)

14. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i would not be overly confident.

CLINTON: Energizing Victories, But Difficult Delegate Math

15. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Perhaps this swing is attributable to Rush Limbaugh telling his supporters to vote for Clinton and abandon the republican primary (it truly ended a month ago).

Republicans will and have been voting in the Democratic primary. Just to stir it up a little.:D It will keep going until it gets all the way to the convention. Enjoy the show!

16. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

This should all be very very interesting, the next few weeks.

My grandmother and I kept live updates last night. Being a former democratic delegate in 3 presidential elections, she keeps up on the latest. She's still hopeful that Hillary will pull back. Obama's momentum seems to be dying, at least a little bit.

17. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

I can't beleive people actually voted for her. :rolleyes:

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If that does end up happening then John McCain is going to be our next president.

19. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't think I'd argue with that, but here's a question for you:

Do people complete overlook Obama's ability to draw votes as a vice president?

In other words, is there so much hatred of Hilary Clinton that Obama's supporters would rather vote Republican or Green or - most likely - not vote at all if he were simply the running mate and not the candidate?

This has surprised me.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Personally I hope Obama doesn't get the VP position. In the long run I think being yolked with Clinton would taint his image.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

He wouldn't be the running mate...

They're both from northeast states... the running mate for both candidates will probably be a southern governor... possibly Richardson, but they might try to appease the old white guys club by going caucasian.

The problem is that Obama has all but locked up the pledged delegate lead. For Clinton to sit and talk of the will of the voters with regards to FL and MI all the while trying to subvert their will by courting the superdelegates only manages to show hypocrisy and piss off a lot of voters who might stay home rather than go out and vote, or maybe vote 3rd party.

I don't think McCain can beat either candidate (given the current administration's approval ratings and his foot-in-mouth disorder), but Obama has a broader appeal to independents and pissed off conservatives so he'd have a wider margin of victory and thus more of a mandate from the people to try to get his programs through Congress, if the rumors are true he might also tap the GOP for his cabinet to reach across party lines and try to ease the bickering that has become a staple in D.C. for the last 16 years.

Given all this, I think Obama is the only 2 term candidate running right now... with a McCain vs. Hillary race we'd see 4 more years of partisan bickering and each side blaming the other for not being able to get anything done, which will open the field for a charismatic candidate in the opposite party to take out the incumbent after a single term. If Obama manages to back up any of his rhetoric after a convincing win, I see him as the only candidate who could make it 2 terms.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Egg on his face, even. ;)

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOLs. Scramble his image so to speak.

24. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

When you consider that a lot of right wingers consider Hillary to be the devil(ed).

*failed*

So whats up with the Texas caucuses?

Edit: Looks like Obama won all the population centers but didn't do so well in the rural areas in Texas and Ohio.

25. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I realize it's just speculation, but it's been talked about more and more recently.

And the fact that he's done so well in the red states while Clinton has done well in the traditional blue states probably suggest the synergy between the two would be better than some folks think.

You may be onto something, but that's still a pretty big "if."