Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Hi, I am looking for an app that saves excerpts of text as soon as I copy them in another app, i.e. I'm browsing Safari, I select and copy one paragraph, this app stores that in the background without me noticing or intervening at all, I select and copy a second excerpt of text, then I go to the app and both texts are listed there ready to be actioned.

Pastebot used to do that, but it is no longer available. Besides I need this sort of clipboard manager to be available as a widget in Notification Center.

Ideas ?

FelixII

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
Hi,

this is currently not possible on iOS because apps are not allowed to run in the background and listen for clipboard changes. The closest thing you can get is a notification center widget that saves your clipboard every time it becomes visible. My app SnipNotes and a few others have such a feature.

Reactions: iRock1

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 23, 2011
Hi,

this is currently not possible on iOS because apps are not allowed to run in the background and listen for clipboard changes.

How so? Pastebot by Tapbots used to do exactly that not a long time ago, with a running-in-the-background time limit of about 10 minutes.

The closest thing you can get is a notification center widget that saves your clipboard every time it becomes visible. My app SnipNotes and a few others have such a feature.

Cool workaround. I really liked your app — the widget is pretty useful though not ideal according to my needs.

FelixII

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2013
Germany
How so? Pastebot by Tapbots used to do exactly that not a long time ago, with a running-in-the-background time limit of about 10 minutes.

As far as I know, Pastebot used a loophole in a previous version of iOS, that has since been fixed. The app played a silent MP3 file in the background, which allowed it to continue running and read clipboard data in the background.

Cool workaround. I really liked your app — the widget is pretty useful though not ideal according to my needs.

If you are you missing something from SnipNotes other than the background mode, please let me know. I will see what I can do. :)

Reactions: iRock1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.