Cloaking Devices take another step toward reality

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Jun 1, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

It's safe to say cloaking a tank or a warship is still many years off. So the wide implications of such a device are difficult to gauge.

You might get more response in the current event section.

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I wish there's a picture showing what it would look like.

Would it look like how the Predator looks when cloaked?

5. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This whole field of research is so interesting - both in theory and application.

Computer chips/components that used light instead of electricity would suffer much less heat loss (and thus not need complicated cooling) - This coupled with some interesting developments in using synthetic diamond in place of silicon in components could allow Moore's Law to continue unabated.

The application in optics alluded to in the article are possibly even more astounding - to have clarity to such a degree that exploration of the microscopic and very distant would be revolutionary.

The invisibility aspect, seems the least interesting from an application standpoint in the near-future - because I am still not sure how all the variables from a moving 3 dimensional object could be continuously manipulated. Even then, would there be problems communicating to the outside world from inside the "cloak"? Could you see through it w/o becoming visible on some level? Could it not be easily defeated by concentrating on other wavelengths of light? Are there moral complications from the power of invisibility and the lack of accountability it allows?

BTW, the article wasn't clear on how many dimensions this object was invisible in- the example of "water going around a stone" seems to imply at least 2 - anyone know? I followed the link from the posted link and got nowhere...

6. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

It is no photograph, but I did find this artist's impression of what it might look like...

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ah, but satellites and drones do not have microphones. Although I'm sure they will once this kind of technology deploys.

Next up, giant mufflers with their own cloaking device! :p

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Says one baddie to another: "Is that a shrub... farting?"

9. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

lol

Yes it's pretty small for now. But the principle of "light flowing around the object like water around a stone" is exciting! Just scale it up a bit.