Clone HD of Old MBP Version to a Brand New MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techguy40, Dec 8, 2010.

1. techguy40 macrumors regular

I plan to buy a new mbp, and I would like to know if it is possible to 'copy' my whole osx system environment(applications, data, everything) on old MBP version to the new Current MBP machine, using this superduper backup?

Can I boot the New MBP from the external hard disk, then run superduper, and use 'copy' option of superduper to copy the osx environment from Old MBP clone external hard disk to the New MBP internal hard disk?

2. Gata macrumors regular

Just use Time Machine, back up your old Mac onto the external hard disk, go over to the new Mac, and plug it in. Then, enter time machine and restore from latest backup.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Yes on all counts.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can do that, however, when I did a clone onto a new hard drive, my system slowed down, so I just used a time machine restore instead.

5. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

I would suggest installing from scratch and restoring from time machine.

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why? Is there something wrong with the OP's system the way it is? If not, just clone it. (He's got the right idea).

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't do any of the above.

I've used to doing it all manually; probably because when I was using Macs back in the olden-days, there wasn't any other way but to copy certain files from the system folder to another system (or folder), along with all the user-data. Usually it's much quicker and compatible with any Mac, regardless of architecture.

Time machine is a great option for those who don't really know what they're doing... but it's not a end all solution, it's not fool proof, occasionally things do go wrong - unfortunately.