Cloned my HDD, now wondering what's happening

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SkyBell, Jun 2, 2008.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

OK, I searched this, and found nothing on it.

(This may not be a problem at all, but this is my first time cloning so please be patient. :))

OK, I cloned the HDD on my iBook G3 800 MHz, becuse it's the last machine I have Tiger on, and it's become too unreliable to use daily. So, I figured I'd clone the HDD, and boot it on my iBook G4, which is running Leopard. I used Oynx to clean the drive and repair permissions, then used SuperDuper! to clone it to my 160 GB LaCie external FireWire HDD. I hooked it up to my iBook G4, and tried to boot. All I got was a FireWire symbol that floated around the screen, no noises coming from the HDD, nothing. So I thought, "OK, maybe it only works on the same computer I cloned it from." So I tried booting it on my iBook G3. Same thing.

TBH, I don't know if this is a normal part of the process, but I've found no other info on it. If someone could tell me what the problem is, or tell me that I'm being a moron, there is no problem, that would be highly appreciated. :)

Thanks!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The floating firewire icon is from Target disk mode, did you hold down T on boot? If so try holding down option.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What partition type is it? GUID won't boot on a PPC, so you should use Apple Partition Map.

You should be able to check this in Disk Utility to see which type the drive is.

EDIT: Yeah and hold option to select a boot disk :)

4. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

...Right, that makes me the idiot of the day.:eek: (I was holding down "t", d'oh!)

I haven't actually tried to see if it works, because the backlight on the G3 is dead, and I can't find the pointer on it. (The external monitor doesn't turn on until the actual booting process, as I'm sure you know) But I can see the partition as an option for boot-up.

One more question though. This external has Tiger on it, is it possible to boot into Tiger from it on my iBook G4, which is running Leopard via the same method?

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yeah, you can boot Tiger on a machine that has Leopard on it too. No worries.

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

GUID boots on my Quad G5.

7. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Hmm, I asked because I tried to do it, but the external didn't show up?:confused:

EDIT: Odd, it showed up the 2nd time I tried it...

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Should work, assuming the chipset on the drive itself is bootable. I thought all Firewire drives were bootable so that would be OK. Was the clone you made bootable or not (you can do either)...

9. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, for some reason, it decided to work this time, and it did boot. Yay, I have my Tiger back, thanks to all of you!'

Once again, thank you!:)

10. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

OK, one more thing. :)

I've decided I want to pull the 'ol switcheroo. My iBook G4 has Leopard on it, and the external has Tiger. I'd like that to be reversed, as in clone my HDD to the external (shouldn't be too hard) But my question is, would it be possible to format my iBook's HDD and clone the external to it? Would it be bootable?

Sorry if that wasn't really clear, I hope you get the gist of it.

11. SkyBell thread starter macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yeah, sorry for the bump, but I'm at the point where I'm done cloning my HDD, now I need to know if it will boot to format it and clone tiger over to it from my external.

This doesn't exactly have to be done now, but it keeps having kernal panics, so it would be nice to get this doen quickly, if possible...

12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

When moving between different models of machines (G3 vs G4) it is probably better to do an Erase and Install from the OS or System Disc and then use Migration Assistant to move all of your files over. G3s and G4s have different processors, so it is reasonable to think that you could run into problems by just cloning a system from one to the other.