Cloned SSD wont boot

Ndaa75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2016
Hi all,

Having a bit of an issue here.
Have a cloned copy of Mojave on my WD old hard drive, boots fine externally but of course very slow.
Cloned it back to my Inateck UASP USB 3 SSD which now will not get passed the Apple screen on boot up.
Any ideas what's going on..?

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Hi all,

Have a cloned copy of Mojave on my WD old hard drive, boots fine externally but of course very slow.
Cloned it back to my Inateck UASP USB 3 SSD which now will not get passed the Apple screen on boot up.
If you still have inside your Mac the Mojave you used for the WD clone, why not clone it to your USB 3 SSD (instead of making a clone of a clone) and see if the SSD then works as you wish?
Or do I understand it wrong and the SSD was already cloned from the inner Mojave?
Ed

Ndaa75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2016
If you still have inside your Mac the Mojave you used for the WD clone, why not clone it to your USB 3 SSD (instead of making a clone of a clone) and see if the SSD then works as you wish?
Or do I understand it wrong and the SSD was already cloned from the inner Mojave?
Ed
The SSD already had Mojave, but load times were so slow, so I cloned it to the WD thinking the older HFS+ would load quicker, now I've cloned it back to the SSD it won't boot with either HFS+ or the newer format.
Totally puzzled.

mikzn

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
another option is to install a clean version of Mojave on the internal and then migrate the data and apps from the external WD clone using migration assistant.

Ndaa75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2016
another option is to install a clean version of Mojave on the internal and then migrate the data and apps from the external WD clone using migration assistant.
Thanks - I'll check out migration assistant!

mikzn

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
I have done this ( Migration Assistant from a clone) on my last 2 installs of Mojave and it takes some extra time but it works very well and you can test Mojave before you do the migration to make sure Mojave works.

Another quicker thing you could try is just re install Mojave from an external drive over top of the install on the internal drive and it will probably fix the problem ( and keep the existing data - like an upgrade) - might be a quicker solution if you feel the data and apps are all there and it is just a boot issue.

IowaLynn

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2015
Hi all,

What did you use as tool to do the clone? CCC is usually good getting a new beta out but a week or more behind. And are you on Mojave beta was just pushed out.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion:

1. Erase the SSD using Disk Utility. Use Mac OS extended with journaling enabled
2. Download absolute-latest copy of CarbonCopyCloner from here:
http://www.bombich.com/download.html
3. Use CCC to clone Mojave directly from your internal drive to the SSD.
4. See if that works.

A few questions:
Are you using a "t2-equipped" Mac? (iMac Pro, 2018 MacBook Pro, 2018 Mini)?
Are you booting with the option key held down, to invoke the startup manager?

Ndaa75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions, Migration Assistant worked fine.....still unsure what the was however.