cloning macbook to new macbook pro help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cwilcox71, Dec 2, 2009.

1. cwilcox71 macrumors newbie

I just bought a brand new 17" Macbook Pro. I currently have a 13" unibody Macbook. I want to clone the hard drive from the Macbook to the Macbook Pro. My plan was to connect the Macbook to the Macbook Pro via USB and clone the hard drive from the Macbook over to the Macbook Pro using Super Duper.

Will this work? Am I missing something here? Will I have to erase the HD on the new Macbook Pro and how do I do that?

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Connect the two machines to the same network, then simply use Migration Assistant on both and it will copy EVERYTHING including settings, files and applications to a new user account on your MacBook Pro.

Note: If the name of your MacBook user is the same as what your MacBook Pro user is at this moment, you will have to change the incoming user's name during the process. It's better to create a new admin on the Pro, delete the old one on the Pro and then transfer if that is the case and you want to keep your user name.

Also, if you haven't started your 17" MacBook Pro yet, when the setup assistant begins it will also have the option to Recover from Another Mac.

3. dashcs macrumors regular

U have alot of options here.
    I find Super Duper useless but anyway.

Here are the options you can do with the mac software.

Migration assistant over a network,Either both connected to a wireless network or connected with a Ethernet cable.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3322

Or you can do a Time Machine backup on the external HD and have the other computer use migration assistant on the that Time Machine Backup.

Or use disk utility to disk image your old computer HD onto a external HD then use migration assistant on that data onto your new computer.

Also the reason its best to migrate then to restore or re-image a old computer information to a new computer,you might have issues with incorrect drivers on the new computer