Cloning old drive to a new drive - Lion and Win7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techmonkey, Jun 1, 2012.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

I know that Disk Utility will clone a Lion partition but can it also do the Boot Camp partition? Im also curious how the cloning process works.

Old drive: 120GB, 40GB Lion, 70GB Win7, 10GB Lion Recovery

New drive: 500GB

Do I partition the new drive or clone the old partitions then resize?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Format the new drive and use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the old Lion install to the new drive. CCC will let you backup the Lion recovery partition from the old drive, so do that first and then use CCC to copy everything over (this would copy the image file of the Lion recovery partition over as well—assuming it's saved on to your main disk).

While the old drive is still in your machine, boot up Windows and backup your important files.

Boot up the new drive and repair disk permissions. In System Preferences, choose this new drive as the default boot volume; reboot.

Now with the new drive, use CCC again to have it restore the Lion recovery partition (from the image file you created earlier) to the new drive. Reboot.

Use BootCamp utility to reinstall Windows 7. Don't bother with cloning it; WinClone is depreciated and I can't find anything else that works.

3. Jimbogiant macrumors member

4. techmonkey, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, that tutorial sounds very promising, thanks!

EDIT:

Im a bit confused on the part where you have to delete the Bootcamp partition, then install Win7, the use CloneZilla again. He mentions a source drive, is this your old drive via a external enclosure?

5. Jimbogiant macrumors member

Yes, I believe so - I had the same capacity drive as the first one so I didn't have to do most of the weird re-sizing stuff, but I believe his guide is assuming you have/are using an external enclosure.