Clooney Raises Record $15 million for Obama campaign.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, May 11, 2012.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Should this be filed under campaign finance reform or do people not have a problem with such big money being raised in one night? 15 million could do a lot of good for a lot of people in this country.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...WZoiKg?docId=c6b807e554a5427b97b60f1631e05ab1

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I hate how big money has taken over our politics. It's essentially millionaires and billionaires deciding who gets elected to national office and even governorships. Corporations are people and money is speech. :rolleyes:

Curious as to why this made you create a thread and not any of the huge fundraisers Romney has done.

3. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

That could pay NZ's welfare plans for one year... :eek:

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This could make Mitt Romney's new beachfront Garage really sweet.

5. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I want big money out of all politics, I don't care what party it is. I brought this up as it was a biggest single fundraiser in history.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

No, this was a single event that raised a lot of money, but the biggest single fundraisers are individuals who support Rove's group or the other right-wing group.

7. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

This was an event that raised the most money ever. I didn't say this was the biggest single person.

There is a diference from single person donator and single fundraiser.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I wonder how many of them have a massive tax lien. Funny how that works out. One cornerstone of the democratic party is to tax and then you get someone like Lionel Ritchie coming in to support him with a +$1 million dollar unpaid tax bill.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes but read your post. Of the $15 million raised, "only" $6 million came from attendees, the rest from small(er) donors.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Who just entered a lottery to "have" dinner with George, and many celebs.

Who wouldn't go for that??

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Maybe 15mil is good value when you consider the harm to the world if Romney or some other bible bashin nut got hold of the Presidency

12. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I don't know why, but every time I've seen this headline today I've read it as "Cheney raises record $15 million for Obama"

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Supporting the gays has been really good for Obama's pocketbook. In the first 90 minutes his site recorded record donations, and now Hollywood is showing him how generous it can be when the gays are happy.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that is uniting some citizens.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Uniting might be a stretch, but forcing people to commit to a position will prove to be a major milestone.

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Not quite...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_finance_in_the_United_States#Campaign_Finance_Numbers

http://www.opensecrets.org/bigpicture/wherefrom.php?cycle=2010#

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15283.html

Obama spent well over twice what McCain did in 2008, setting a record there, and he had over 3 million people donate to his campaign, which in itself set a record. Obama had both many very small and quite a few very large contributions. Democrats, not including Obama, raised more money than republicans, not including McCain.

And I agree that how much money has determined politics is ridiculous.

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Hollywood will donate big money to Obama no matter what his position or policy is.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It was not originally expected that Obama would get $15 million from this fundraiser. The announcement definitely bought in more last-minute donors or had the effect of increasing the donation amounts from existing donors.

And yes, in general Hollywood and Silicon Valley were always going to give big money to Obama. But, as in all things, the intensity and energy matter. His announcement was tremendous for energizing the base, and that's going to drive tons of extra money towards his campaign and all down-ticket Democrats.

I said this in another thread, but I think this probably cemented Obama's reelection, if it was ever in doubt.

18. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I am an Obama supporter, but I was not one of the people jazzed by the e-mails about winning a dinner with George Clooney. I actually found it a little insulting and more like something a kid would try to do if they were running for their school's council. It's one thing to pay money to see someone perform, such as in a movie (which I did for Ides of March and regretted it), but it's another to say that you're so important that your mere presence can be auctioned off. I'm not that desperate.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, plus George Clooney is a crappy actor and makes even worse movies. Why couldn't we get someone more classy like Ian McKellan? I mean, thanks George- but maybe you should be a campaign guy and quit movies. You seem better at raising money. :)

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But he's handsome as hell...that's all that matters. lol

21. leekohler, May 11, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ick- you can have him. He does NOT do it for me. Yuck. He's far too generic and dull.

22. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Is it the facial hair?

[​IMG]

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! No- it's his whole demeanor. And that irritating "Hi, I'm Superman!" voice. It's so conventional, uninteresting. Patrick Stewart, for example, is far more interesting and sexy than Clooney. Clooney just seems vacuous and boring to me.

24. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Patrick Stewart has a voice that penetrates your dreams...

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The bolded quote is what made me think of this. I figured you'd at least find it amusing. He's a great actor.