Close to deciding on a new iMac due to economic conditions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shane2, Feb 21, 2009.

  1. Shane2 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2006
    #1
    I've been waiting since December for any sight of an update on the iMac. Now I'm starting to consider to just buy one now for a few reasons:

    a). I live in Canada and with the recent economic turmoil our dollar has taken a hit compared to that of the US. I am worried that in the event of a refresh the price will jump $100 to $200 (that's what I think based on the exchange rates right now). The base iMac here ($1299) when converted to USD is $1040, so a good deal for the dollar conversions. This is what leads me to believe prices will rise.

    b). Possible lack of Firewire on new iMacs.

    c). Possible chipset problem as with last years MacBook Pro's.

    Right now I have a C2D 2.16GHz MBP from Jan 2007. The GPU is not offering me as much power as I would like for a few games (TF2/CS:S/HL2/Legacy). The hard drive is not as big as I'd like. Finally I would love some more screen real estate.

    I currently have a 20" external display hooked up to help with screen real estate as I do a fair bit of web design/development as a hobby. I figure the top end 24" model can accomplish what I want to do nicely.

    I'm also wondering if anyone had any first hand experience running the games I've mentioned on the top end 24" model or the lower end 24" model.

    Oh and another reason I don't feel like waiting is that my EDU discount can get me $200 off the top end model :D

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
     
  2. Jack Comrie macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    Palo Alto, California
    #2
    Hey,

    Well I got the current Gen Imac last August and I've had no problems with it. The Firewire is great!

    Regards the chipset I have had no problems, yet. However I have one dead pixel on the screen.

    If i were you, I would buy the current Gen.

    Just a word of advice is do not buy a RAM upgrade from Apple. It is so easy to do your self and you can get it nice and cheep. I got mine from Crucial. I guess Crucial will have a .ca site too.

    Jack

    EDIT: I have the top end model. One day I will update my signature lol.
     
  3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #3
    a) ok...
    b) no, they won't do that. and from what it sounds, you won't be missing it either
    c) umm... why? that was the 8600M GT and only that chip. It was a 20% affected rate... The newer chips aren't defected.
     
  4. Mjmar macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    #4
    From past experiences, my suggestion is for you to wait. I wanted to buy a MacBook even when I knew updates would come soon. I kept trying to make myself believe that I shouldn't wait just because I wanted it so badly. If there really is a problem with the new iMacs you can always go Apple refurbished, or other retailers that always have the previous gen. products around for awhile. I'm sure updates will come soon. You will be happy that you waited.
     

Share This Page