Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Is it possible to close the lid of an ibook but yet keep it on? I want to do this so I can stick in headphones and basically use my ibook as a large-ipod. I don't exactly want to walk around listening to music on an open ibook.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
goodtimes5 said:
Is it possible to close the lid of an ibook but yet keep it on? I want to do this so I can stick in headphones and basically use my ibook as a large-ipod. I don't exactly want to walk around listening to music on an open ibook.
This is not a good idea for two reasons.

1. The heat that would be generated with the lid closed could do some damage to the components and the screen. Way back when, on the original white iBooks, you could close the lid and have a DVD play (as long as you were hooked up to a TV). I did that once and noticed that my iBook was really REALLY HOT.

2. It's not a good idea to walk around with your iBook while the hard drive is spinning. The iBook hard drives aren't really made for movement while spinning. I guess the iPod drives have provisions for dampening the shocks, but I'm only guessing.

In any case, you'll need to hack your system to get it to do what you want. If you HD goes down or you damage your motherboard, Apple probably won't cover your repairs.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Spot on. The iBook isn't intended for use while moving - and unlike the PowerBooks I don't think it can do lid-closed operation either - so there could be heat issues.

The hard drive thing is also quite correct. Your iBook is designed to go to sleep with the lid closed for a reason.

Also, Apple wouldn't want anything to take away from iPod sales now would it? ;)

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
goodtimes5 said:

Go to your local Barnes and Noble and get you a copy of the current MacFormat (published in England). It will cost you around $13, but their cover disk this month has several laptop utilities. One of those will allow your iBook to run while the lid is closed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.