Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I see the new 15"ers support closed-lid operation.

What I would like to know is can you have along with the new wireless mouse add a wireless keyboard and use it with the 15" PB? Because say if I have a 23" cinema display and want to work just on that. Do they support external keyboards?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
sure you can use a wireless keyboard, you can use apple's new bluetooth keyboard if you wish.

iJon

crees!

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by iJon
sure you can use a wireless keyboard, you can use apple's new bluetooth keyboard if you wish.

iJon

Or even a standard USB keyboard I take it?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
sure, i would get an apple one though since it will prevent confusion and it will have an eject key.

iJon

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
works fine with closed lid and external keyboard/mouse

my thinking is, "there is never enough desktop space"

use the externals with the lid open and you've got more room to spread your application - windows, icons, palletes, whatever your heart desires all over the place

Thats just my thought though

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
sure, i would get an apple one though since it will prevent confusion and it will have an eject key.

iJon

I disagree.... I have an M$ keyboard and it works fine. Any keyboard will work fine (that is USB). Also, the eject key is pretty much useless now, since F12 does the same exact thing on any keyboard.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by crazzyeddie
I disagree.... I have an M$ keyboard and it works fine. Any keyboard will work fine (that is USB). Also, the eject key is pretty much useless now, since F12 does the same exact thing on any keyboard.
i know any keyboard that is usb will work, i was just saying for his benefit he may want an apple keyboard, just easier with the buttons matching.

iJon

crees!

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I do have a USB mouse and keyboard from my old winblows machine. It would just be nice to go wireless now that you can. Thanks all for your suggestions.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
held to my promise when I said I would never use WinXP on one of my machines. Now soon to replace the dreadful and dying AMD700 running Win98SE...

1.25GHz 15" Powerbook
512MB RAM (1 x 512)
80Gig HD @ 5400rpm
Super Drive
40 iPod
HP 5150 Printer

Looks like I'm set. Goodbye forever WinBlows!

nice machine, i'm envious

and about using windows, a great quote comes to mind that i heard several years ago, just before i switched myself

"the only way you'll get me to stop using a mac is if i die an you pry my single button mouse out of my cold lifeless hand" - unknown

Hugin777

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
Copenhagen
No Windows keyboard for me, thanks !

Sure. Or the Macally iKey keyboard (has no eject key, but a power on key). <rant>Any keyboard that hasn't got those stupid "Windows keys" that have no real function but to shorten the space bar ! (Another one of those extremely clever Microsoft tricks)</rant>

(As another poster said: when the keyboard has no eject key the F12 functions as an eject key.)

Hugin777

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
Copenhagen
Originally posted by crees!
I do have a USB mouse and keyboard from my old winblows machine. It would just be nice to go wireless now that you can. Thanks all for your suggestions.

Of course you won't get the USB hub normally built into Apple keyboards... I find it convenient to have a USB port right at hand (literally).

joeyjojoe

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
so how do i manage to turn off the auto-sleep when lid is closed. basically i want to close the computer lid at night and still have it run.

are there heat issues i should consider before doing this?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
ANYBODY?

Can anyone verify that the new PowerBooks indeed work in closed lid mode with the new Bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
Re: No Windows keyboard for me, thanks !

Originally posted by Hugin777
<rant>Any keyboard that hasn't got those stupid "Windows keys" that have no real function but to shorten the space bar ! (Another one of those extremely clever Microsoft tricks)</rant>

You mean like an Apple (command) Key?

Windows Keyboards have Control/WinKey/Alt. Apple has Control/Option/Command. It's all the same. Like a Command Key, the WinKey is extremly useful in Windows. WinKey plus just about any on the 103 other keys on a keyboard is a shortcut to something.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by joeyjojoe
so how do i manage to turn off the auto-sleep when lid is closed. basically i want to close the computer lid at night and still have it run.

are there heat issues i should consider before doing this?

Very good question. I've wondered the same myself because I am currently copying files over from my Windows machine and when I close the lid, then open it, I can not resume my file transfer. So basically when I close the lid the file transfer stops/pauses... sucky. :)

Hugin777

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
Copenhagen
Re: Re: No Windows keyboard for me, thanks !

Originally posted by slowtreme
You mean like an Apple (command) Key?

Windows Keyboards have Control/WinKey/Alt. Apple has Control/Option/Command. It's all the same. Like a Command Key, the WinKey is extremly useful in Windows. WinKey plus just about any on the 103 other keys on a keyboard is a shortcut to something.

heh, no, I don't mean like the Apple key :p The Apple key is very much needed in Mac OS. I have never had a need for the Windows key; I just press Ctrl-Esc (and Shift-F10 for the context key). But it's correct that Apple keyboards have nearly as short a space bar ;)

When Microsoft made keyboards with Windows keys, and nobody else made them, Microsoft had an advantage. So everybody began selling keyboards with Windows keys. That's really good advertising ;) Even if you only use Linux you probably have a little advertisement for a Microsoft product on your keyboard !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.