Closest Apple store is 6 hours away and in a different country...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hamlin, Sep 2, 2010.

1. hamlin macrumors regular

Hi, I'm new to mac and was wondering what I should do if something does go wrong with my macbook? I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario and the closest Apple store would be 6 hours away in Minneapolis Minnesota (Mall of America). Obviously I am not going to drive there to get help. Is the only option I have is to send it back to apple?

Does anyone else have this issue?

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

You can work with AppleCare over the phone to diagnose the problem, and then they'll arrange for you to ship it back to them, or you can find a local Apple authorized service provider.

http://www.apple.com/ca/buy/locator/

Attached Files:

3. hamlin thread starter macrumors regular

Those places are 5-6 hours away (kenora 5-6, Winnipeg 8)and Kitchener is about 17 hours away lol. How can a city of 115,000 not have ONE apple store/Authorized service provider.

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

You have it easy by comparison to me, not trying to sound spiteful though. I live in the maritimes, there isn't one apple store east of Quebec. If I were to stay in Canada the closest would be Montreal. Yet just the city of Toronto gets 3...

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Well, Apple is opening new stores all the time. It's just a matter of time I guess :(

6. snberk103 macrumors 603

Still, Thunderbay is going to be pretty far down the list of places to get an Apple Store. However, it sounds like a good opportunity for the OP to start a new business.....

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

What about the campus computer store at Lakehead?

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Maybe authorized service providers are less common in Canada than the US, but I'm a little surprised at the lack thereof given that I'm six hours from the nearest city of significant size and/or Apple Store, and my entire county only has a population of about 120K, but we've got two authorized service places that will do warranty work for Apple.

That said, since it's a laptop, you're probably going to have to send it to them anyway--Apple Stores might do laptop work, but even with the local authorized service provider here they still just send you a FedEx pickup box to ship it to them.

The good news is that service is usually very fast considering that it's being shipped twice--the one time I needed to send a laptop in for repairs it was back within the week.