Closing the lid while keeping everything on with external monitor... .....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rsullivan, Jan 31, 2011.

1. rsullivan macrumors newbie

How do you set up the Macbook to close the lid when you have a external monitor attached and not go to sleep. Also I have several USB devices attached along with a wireless keyboard(apple)

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

You have to ket it go to sleep then wake it with a mouse or keyboard.

3. rsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I have been....

trying. It goes to sleep the wakes up for 5-10secs and the goes to sleep again.

4. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm not aware that it's possible to do what you're asking. You can open the lid back up while only using the external monitor and the screen will stay asleep, then go to Display preferences and "Detect Displays" to wake it up so you're back in dual screen mode through software, but vice versa is not possible, as far as I know.

EDIT:
    I'm sorry, now I see what your problem is... It should not go back to sleep after you wake it up in closed lid mode. I can't think of any software issues that would cause that problem. I wonder if you have a sensor malfunctioning.

5. altecXP macrumors 65816

If you are using a 15in make sure you are using a power connecter and if you are using gfxstatus that you do not have it locked to the intel graphics.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It will sleep in clamshell mode if you don't have AC power attached, unless you use an app like InsomniaX to keep it awake.

7. rsullivan thread starter macrumors newbie

issue taken care of...

Thanks for the quick replies