Cluster Vs Cluster

coeus

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2002
albany, western australia
Does anybody know if there has ever been a cluster battle between PowerPC and Pentiums?

If there has been could someone give me a site to go look at?

thanks alot.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Mac's would win hands down

Originally posted by cb911
a cluster battle? like with cluster grenades and that sort of stuff?
LMAO

I think that the cluster battle would be hilariously horrible for the pentiums. It's obvious that the mac cluster would take about 50-500 hours less to hook up than the pentiums, and it's obvious it would do better speedwise. It takes like a week for colleg educated peeps to hook up a linux cluster. A 6th grader can hook up a mac cluster. I forgot the soft you use to do it but i'll look it up :p

coeus

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2002
albany, western australia
linux?
The competition wouldnt be fair then. both clusters would have to use their own native software.
Pentium - Win2k
PowerPC - OSX Server

it be great to know the results, maybe Apple should challenge Wintel.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Cluster Vs Cluster

Originally posted by coeus
Does anybody know if there has ever been a cluster battle between PowerPC and Pentiums?

If there has been could someone give me a site to go look at?

thanks alot.
Hmmmmm, a Mac cluster going into a head to head battle with a wintel cluster... sounds more like a cluster f*ck to me. :D

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Okay...here is where I learn something for the day.

What the hell is a cluster in this sense and whats the difference between a mac, pc and or linux one?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by krossfyter
Okay...here is where I learn something for the day.

What the hell is a cluster in this sense and whats the difference between a mac, pc and or linux one?

clusters are multiple computers parallel processing information... Basically 16 processors do work faster than 1, so they work together. scalable computing can be many sizes... it's kind of like Seti@home...

As for software, I used launchdenmother by some grad students at UCLA... there's probably more sophisticated software out there by now tho...

:)
pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.