cMBP 15" highress AG or glossy + AG film

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rays09, Jun 28, 2012.

1. rays09 macrumors member

after a few weeks read this forum and searching about retina or non, finnaly ! i pick the high end model with cMBP with high resolution! and now the last question is AG or glossy +AG??

why i choosing the glossy + AG,

-first of all actually i don't like the AG cause i had a experience in ipad , iphone, if i put the AG film in it the screen looks dull, washed or something, and more pixelete , i dont know it's just me or you all feel it too??
    -second c'mon the silver bazel it's annoying!
    - if i don't like the AG i can going back to glossy just open the film.
    -considering i have an IPS dell 24" monitor

it's there any different between the AG from apple with AG film we put on glossy?

thanks guys i need an advice cause i borrowed my auntie credit card, and iam about to click and choosing for order.. yeay!:)

2. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

anti glare, much more worth it. anti glare films on glossy screens slightly degrades the screen. apples does not

3. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

4. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

The antiglare coating that Apple uses (or rather the display manufacturer) is a clean overlay of diffusing material that does not work to deteriorate the visibility of the screen. You have a bit of a "grainy" appearance, but it is by no means dramatic (if you even notice it at all).

Adding an antiglare 'sticker' to a glossy display will distort the pixels incredibly and cause a huge loss in visual quality in your Mac. I would never advise going this route. The only reason you would ever need that film is if you're traveling and need an emergency antiglare solution (e.g. outdoor meeting for work, etc.).

Also, the silver bezel is actually a huge selling point for the antiglare. Most people would prefer the silver bezel, even with the glass screen [though not available].

5. rays09, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

rays09 thread starter macrumors member

yeah yeah i using the AG film with my ipad it causes Grainy!
    what about in macbook pro??
    is it still had a great colour for watching HD movies??

6. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

The antiglare sticker that you put on your iPad is completely different than the standard antiglare coating on the screen by the manufacturer. You cannot compare the two.

7. rays09 thread starter macrumors member

so what da best i have to choose? glossy or anti glare, iam afraid the anti glare have a bad colour.. cause i read many review about it, and said the anti glare showing bad contrast??

8. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Personally I would say to go with the Retina MacBook Pro if you can stretch to it, because it's a much better value than the standard 15" MacBook Pro, especially if you're paying extra for the high resolution screen.

That said, if you want the MacBook Pro, my recommendation would be the matte antiglare screen, even though I generally prefer recent "glossy" displays now.

The glossy display on the standard MacBook Pros actually have a pane of glass a layer above the display, which results in terrible reflections, though it does make it easier to clean and offers some additional protection.

You cannot add an antiglare film to this and expect to get results anything close to the matte display, because the film isn't sitting on the LCD panel itself.

9. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you really want the AG, but are afraid you just may not like the colors/quality of it. Luckily Apple has a great return policy. You can try an AG model for 14 days, and if you find it lacking, exchange it for a glossy model.

10. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

The difference between the matte finish and the glossy and is that the stock layers is directly above the polarizer without while the glossy screen is another layer of glass or plastic on top of the polarizer layer. There is there a difference even if you could get the same quality anti glare layer on top of a glossy screen due to the sender extra layer of glass.

11. rays09 thread starter macrumors member

so how bad lose colour in anti glare ? cause i kindda trauma using cheap anti glare in my new ipad it get rid of the retina display and made it more like the ipad 2.

12. DrJohnZoidberg macrumors member

You don't always lose colour with the anti-glare. In situations where the glossy would suffer from reflections. the AG screen diffuses the reflections across the whole screen; so in these situations you lose some contrast and saturation, but it's a trade off (distracting reflections vs reduced saturation and contrast). Under ideal circumstances the AG screen will have 99.5% as good saturation and contrast as the glossy, the viewing experience simply deteriorates in different ways in sub-optimal viewing situations. The AG screen is a wonderful screen, but it's not for everyone. If you do most of your work in a 'controlled' environment (where you can reorientate yourself to avoid reflections), or predominately use your MBP to watch movies, then get the glossy, If you use your MBP out and about then you may prefer the AG.

Do not compare a cheap after-market anti-glare film to the true anti-glare screen, they're not even the same sport (let alone being in the same ballpark).

13. BlueOcean macrumors member

I went to the Apple store a couple of days ago and played around with all MacBook models. This is personal opinion, but I actually thought the antiglare on the cMBP was better than the retina display. It's certainly a world ahead of the standard glossy display on the 15" and 13" MBP. Go with the hi-res antiglare.

14. dazmanuk macrumors newbie

How about you use it for some English / grammar lessons first? :rolleyes: :D

15. rays09, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

rays09 thread starter macrumors member

lol :D sorry bro iam not good in english..

but i saw in many youtube video , screen in anti glare lose their vivid and crisp?? and it's feel washed out..

now i have the e-ips panel dell u2412m it's using an anti glare.. but i don't see a reduce saturation or contrast in here..
    is it same between the anti glare screen in dell with anti glare screen in macbook?
    some of them love the anti glare, but there's still many of them said the glossy one. it's make me confuse to choosing!

16. Yuke macrumors member

If you want an antiglare screen, you'll have better results with the actual matte LCD than with a film.

That isn't to say that all films are horrible - I used one from PowerSupport on my 2009 15". Made a huge difference, and not a really substantial drop in image quality. However, although it was a vast improvement, it was inferior to an actual matte lcd (which I would have purchased, had they been offered at the time).

I'd only take the film option if they don't offer antiglare on the model you're looking for.

FWIW, the rMBP's screen, although glossy, is significantly less reflective than the previous double-glass models.

17. icewing macrumors 6502

Do you have a store nearby where you can go and compare them?

I went through the same questions as you initially. I have an iMac, thought the colors were great on it, hated the silver bezel on the AG enough that the bezel color was a big part of my decision. I do a lot of amateur photography work and was concerned about color accuracy and washed-out possibility - bottom line, was going to go glossy.

Then was using my iPhone 4 outside and noticed how much the glare was a problem....and that while my iMac was in a controlled lighting environment, the laptop would NOT be.

I ended up going high-res anti-glare and LOVE it. Funny how I think the bezel looks great now :) The screen is beautiful!

Good luck!

18. magbarn macrumors 68000

If you're going to be working in a light-controlled all the time, the glossy is ok. For everything else, get the AG. Even for re-sale value alone, the AG is worth. Due to their rarity, they're fetching an extra $200-$300 bucks on fleabay.

19. Dunnite macrumors newbie

coming from a old C2D 13 glossy screen, I couldn't be happier with my new AG screen 15' ! Check it out in store if you could, it was a big sell point for me.

20. rays09 thread starter macrumors member

unlucky no! we dont have any anti glare screen in booth display to compare..

if i see the iphone , maybe why the iphone looks amazing it's because it using glossy display.. the screeen alive, i look my friend iphone/ipad using anti-glare film it's look dull, and not vivid...

yeah iam a amateur photohraphy just a hobby, and i like watching HD movies in my laptop before sleep..

do u watching movies? what about the colour especially in full HD movie? does it lose their colour?

what about their crisp,sharp ,vivid colour lose?
    but i saw the anti-glare screen had a dull screen like more darker..

actually i have a to monitor dell e-ips panel 24" and TN LG 22" both of them i think using an anti glare, anyway iam not seeing colour lose on both scree, i still saw it have great vivid colour and darker black.

is it different between the anti glare in monitor and anti glare in MBP??

help me this anti glare and glossy making me confuse all night and day.. tommorow i have to tell my auntie my final decision cause i change the order 2 times and this is the last one i said to her...

sorry friends for my bad english:p

21. dazmanuk macrumors newbie

lol don't worry ;)

Personally I didn't like the outer silver bezel of the AG screen, so I opted for the Glossy + AG(Matte) Film. I haven't tested this out yet, but as soon as I receive my cMBP I'll let you know how it looks.

..just pick one.. you can always swap it within the 14 day period?

22. rays09 thread starter macrumors member

how to swap it bro? is it take a long term/regulation/day to swap it? i dont have any experience using that policy..
    actually my auntie just bought it for me cause she lived in singapore, iam in indonesia and we don't have any apple online store here. so i still don't know the date for my family vacation to singapore this next week or end of july if i going the last july i afraid it will be more than fourteen days. hmm... and my auntie want to ordered it tomorow considering this is the end of month and near to have credit card receipt.

yeah me to i dont like it's silver.. but why everyone in this forum tell the anti glare , was a "must have" screen while the anandtech said don't buy an anti glare if you not using it outside cause u will lose your screen colour??

and everyone said that retina display is must have to, while anandtech said that "don't buy it now, maybe later"

and it's making me confuse.....

actually i one the anti glare one but iam afraid the screen looks terrible and lose their vivid much..