Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apoenq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Hi guys, can someone comment on screen quality between non-retina MBP compared with MBA?

I believe that both of them are using the same type of screen but correct me if i am wrong. I know that MBA screen has more resolution compared to cMBP but how about the color reproduction quality? I read somewhere that MBA has lower quality in term of color. I did go to apple store and compare both devices and I did feel that cMBP has better color quality. I am not sure if it was physcological effect because I already read the article first.. >.< Maybe someone can comment on this? how about the brightness quality? thanks guys!

apoenq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
I had both and to me they are very close. That said, none of the two are acceptable when you spend $1000 on a machine.

Hi thanks for the quick reply. Yap, I am buying a 2nd hand one and both of them are around the same price. :)

apoenq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
i might choose MBA since it has bigger RAM and SSD compared to cMBP one. My only concern is only the screen quality.. hmm..

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
Between the two, I'd get the Air. Better battery life (if 2013 or newer), weighs 50% less, much more portable, and as you say, more RAM and larger storage.

apoenq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Between the two, I'd get the Air. Better battery life (if 2013 or newer), weighs 50% less, much more portable, and as you say, more RAM and larger storage.

but too bad the deal i got is for mba 2012.. >.< do u think it is worth it to buy MBA? MBA has 8gb RAM + 256GB SSD. cMBP only has 4GB + 500GB HDD (can be upgraded but with additional cost of ~100USD).. I don't need portability and battery life frankly speaking since I will take it outside for at most once a week. I am more concern about the screen quality, hmm...

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I'd just go for the Air in that case. Unless you need more than 8GB down the line, and the 2012 MBA has upgradable internal storage (OWC has drives).

The MacBook Air also runs at 1440x900 vs 1280x800 so you will actually have more screen real-estate on the Air vs the Pro. Plus the Air has an SSD out of the box, that alone is what I'd go for unless you plan on putting one in the Pro right when you get it.

So +1 for the MBA.

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
In terms of display quality.. The air has higher resolution, but low ever color accuracy.

The pro covers approx. 100% srgb and air is around 70%. It is similar to the difference between the iPad Air and iPad mini.

That being said I'd still go for the air because of the other advantages like battery life, weight etc.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Personally I'd go for the cmbp. It holds a battery cpu temp allowing for consistent turbo frequencies. You can up the ram and you have the option of fitting an ssd and swapping the CD-ROM out for an additional drive if you so wish.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
but too bad the deal i got is for mba 2012.. >.< do u think it is worth it to buy MBA? MBA has 8gb RAM + 256GB SSD. cMBP only has 4GB + 500GB HDD (can be upgraded but with additional cost of ~100USD).. I don't need portability and battery life frankly speaking since I will take it outside for at most once a week. I am more concern about the screen quality, hmm...
With the MBA you get less reflectivity and a higher resolution, but worse colors and viewing angles. You'll just have to decide which is most important.

If you go with the cMBP, definitely make sure to upgrade it with an SSD.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
If portability is not a concern (and since it is a 2012 MBA), I would go with the cMBP and install an SSD. Having owned both (my son still currently has the cMBP), colours are better on the cMBP (less washed out) as well as having better viewing angles, but resolution on the MBA is higher.

apoenq

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
Thanks guys for all the comments and reply. Is there any way to tune mba color accuracy through software? I am still inclined to mba since I dont need spend more money for cMbp upgrade..

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks guys for all the comments and reply. Is there any way to tune mba color accuracy through software? I am still inclined to mba since I dont need spend more money for cMbp upgrade..

It depends what you want. If you really want good color accuracy, no. The display panel used in the MBA is far behind the other Apple panels in terms of its ability to accurately display the sRGB color gamut. Calibration won't solve that problem.

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
Get the Air. cMBP does have deeper colors and a nicer looking screen. But the higher resolution of the Air minimizes that advantage. And for everything else the 2012 8/256 Air you specified is better. Even without the need for regular portability which you don't require.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.