C'mon where's the Antiglare BTO option for the 13 and 15"er's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple doesn't care about matte. End of discussion; there won't be any option for matte.

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I've learned that your predictions generally result in the opposite coming true.

So this means we'll most likely have a matte option by early next year.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I hope so, I really want a new MBP with a matte screen

6. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'd be happy with a gloss screen, NO GLASS and a silver bezel. Kind of like my Air or the old MB's. The glare does get very distracting on that big ass black glass bezel on the new design. I hate it.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Apple has made their thinking clear...if you want a true pro machine get the 17" laptop. No matte is coming to the 15" and especially the 13"...its just unlikely happen

The MBP 13/15" laptops are now prosumer laptops.

8. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Agreed. If they won't offer AG, I'll be happy with Gloss, āla the MBA displays :p

To all the naysayers, I don't have a crystal ball. I think the whole Pro line should offer AG BTO options right across the board and I believe  will give us this if we ask. I'm asking. Along with the many others.

The argument that if you want a true pro machine then the 17" is the only option is bogus and myopic at best. Thousands of pro photographers out there on travel and location assignments would love a 13 or 15" matte MBP. I'm sure there are other industries where this is true also. I already have 2x 17" matte apple laptops. I just need a workable & powerful machine with more portability

Firewire came back and there is no reason why AG/Matte (or Gloss) can't be provided as a BTO option.  did it for the 17, they can do it for the 13 & 15's. Its good business to offer more choice & charge $50 at the same time.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

1. Glass (actually acrylic) makes the whole LCD lid stronger and less flexible.
    2. Many people don't care and adding an option to AG might confuse them.
    3. Contrary to popular belief, the old CRTs used glass and many professionals used those. So why not glass now?

IMHO the whole AG/Glass issue has been overrated by people who refuse to change. AG actually has a special film over the LCD panel that distorts light. It makes a less clear picture and blurs things sometimes. Glass is more 'natural', its just LCD, not special films over the panel. I have the new 15" uMBP and the screen hasn't bothered me yet, except that it looks way better than my white MacBook screen. Colors pop out, its brighter at only 50% brightness, etc. SO move on with your lives. This is turning into the same situation as the 1.5/3.0Gb SATA threads. People assumed before they actually knew. It was just a driver issue.

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Lets shed some perspective on this:

1. There was never an issue with rigidity before Glassy screens were introduced. Adding more weight and fragility is at odds with the whole concept of lightweight portability

2. People do care. And your assumption that it may "confuse" buyers is insulting their intelligence at best. What a weak argument

3. Because matte is better.

11. sven- macrumors member

The fact is that Apple now has showed us twice (first at Macworld 2009, and second at WWDC 2009) that the 17" MacBook Pro is the only MacBook left with "real" pro features like the matte option and the expresscard slot.

Indeed the 13" and 15" MacBooks should be called prosumer laptops now, since that's what they are.

Apple could do it, but only a minority of the people would use this BTO option, therefore Apple offers it only for the 17" MacBook Pro.

@ SnowLeopard2008
    Funny thing is that the best monitors out there (i.e. Eizo) offer MATTE displays. Why would it be like that? Comparing to CRT is just an excuse. Glassy / glossy is for consumers, because it LOOKS nice, but that's where it stops. When you work day and night on your Mac, matte is so much easier for your eyes. Offices most of the time use matte displays. And i could go on and on...

12. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

CRTs never had as many reflection problems as much as the glassy mbp's.

This is clearly one time where aesthetics completely trumped common sense. It's just completely overthinking design at this point. The 15" mbp is now needlessly wide as well. It makes it feel like a 16" notebook. Definitely less portable now than the classic mbp.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

@sven- Yes, and how many people cash out on those EIZO monitors than regular LCD displays? How many people use SD cards than expresscards? Do the research and think outside the rather miniscule geek box.

It's not needlessly wide. The screen's bezel is way smaller than other PC laptops of the same size. And it's thinner and a little less weight.

14. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I acknowledged that over two weeks ago..

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=715971

The 13 & 15" laptops should offer BTO matte. I still have faith  will offer it if we continue to ask for it.

15. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Back in the day (aka few years ago) it was commonplace to see screen bezel's that were 1/2 an inch think and think "wow that's wide!" but now you can see a 1" thick bezel and find it normal. :confused:

Given the size of the lid on the 13" macbook pro, they should give it a 14" screen.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Examples, please. Oh, and show me ONE piece of evidence that Apple cares about matte enough to offer it. ONE.

17. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

The 17" MBP. of course.

And the venerable 30 ACD.

I bow down to timeless elegance :D

18. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

(+.25")x(+.22")x(-.05") and +.1lbs equals "definitely less portable"? Really?

19. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

would it be possible to put the silver bezel from the air onto the 13 MBP???

20. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Was there ONE piece of evidence in late 2005 that Apple cared enough about glossy to offer it?

If for some reason there are delays in technology for the next macbook pro release, it would not be extraordinary for the refresh to include higher resolution displays and options as the big selling point.

Never is rarely true.

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

There's quite a list of them here.

You really should learn not to post your opinion as fact.

22. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

23. Poirot818 macrumors regular

24. DamnDJ macrumors regular

DamnDJ

I guess I am in the minority of people who think the glassy screens are not as bad as people would make them out to be. I got my MBP yesterday and while I agree there is some distraction on the screen regarding reflection, I guess it doesn't bother me enough to really care.

The screen looks too darn nice to complain. :)

25. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I think you are more a member of the silent majority.

I would always order the glossy, but choice is nice too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.