Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geo88

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
Nashville, USA
The mouse pointer will on occasion become wonky and difficult to control. This typically happens after the display, a 4K LG TV, is switched to a different input and the cMP sits idle for a while. I have Energy Saver set to never sleep. Logout/login fix the problem. Although, sometimes the issue goes away when switching between applications and/or full screen mode. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a workaround? Which logs should I be looking at?

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
The mouse pointer will on occasion become wonky and difficult to control. This typically happens after the display, a 4K LG TV, is switched to a different input and the cMP sits idle for a while.

Something is probably blasting radio frequency interference in the 2.5GHz band. This interferes with Bluetooth to the mouse. The "something" is probably a USB3 port, perhaps made worse by an unshielded cable, or an unused cable plugged in on one end only.

Reactions: geo88

geo88

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2019
Nashville, USA
Hmm. You've got me wondering. I thought for sure this was a software issue, but I suppose it could be Bluetooth related. I am using a Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad (from Apple) with the Bluetooth card original to the Mac Pro which is only Bluetooth 2.1. Also, though I don't have a USB 3 card, I do keep a couple USB 3 external drives plugged in. I wonder if that could be contributing somehow.

I'm going to try using a wired keyboard and mouse for a while and see if anything develops.

TheDevler

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2019
The fella above probably nailed it. Bluetooth on the cMP is hot garbage. Thankfully all is not lost. If you're comfortable working inside the case osxwifi.com sells bluetooth antenna extender kits. That fixed my same issue.

Reactions: geo88
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.