MP 1,1-5,1 cMP {classicMacPro}{4,1 & 5,1} - Upgrade Guide Sticky Discussion

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

Objectivist-C

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2006
I bought a 2.5” Samsung 860 Evo that I was planning to run Boot Camp off of, but AHCI isn’t enabled for it and I’m getting half the rated speed. How can I enable it in Windows?

tsialex

macrumors 604
Jun 13, 2016
Brazil
I bought a 2.5” Samsung 860 Evo that I was planning to run Boot Camp off of, but AHCI isn’t enabled for it and I’m getting half the rated speed. How can I enable it in Windows?
MP5,1 firmware defines SATA native ports as IDE and not as AHCI for Windows CSM mode. But this is not the motive of you getting half the expected throughput, it's because MP5,1 SATA ports are SATA 300.

Until we can find a way to edit CSM definitions inside the BootROM, you can't change it to AHCI for Windows installed as CSM.

pacergh

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
I picked up a 5,1 Mac Pro at a University Surplus sale. Trying to diagnose non-boot issues. (I push the start button and get absolutely nothing.) Seems it is likely to be the PSU. Tried to test with the paper-clip test (found where someone else located the wired equivalent to ATX Green wires) and I was not apparently getting anything.

Which leads me to this -- Anyone tried to rewire an ATX PSU into Apple's proprietary PSU harness?

Alternatively, is there a good place to find PSUs?

Seems like PSUs may be the weak point in a lot of these in the future, and I was wondering if anyone had found the solutions yet.

h9826790

macrumors G5
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I picked up a 5,1 Mac Pro at a University Surplus sale. Trying to diagnose non-boot issues. (I push the start button and get absolutely nothing.) Seems it is likely to be the PSU. Tried to test with the paper-clip test (found where someone else located the wired equivalent to ATX Green wires) and I was not apparently getting anything.

Which leads me to this -- Anyone tried to rewire an ATX PSU into Apple's proprietary PSU harness?

Alternatively, is there a good place to find PSUs?

Seems like PSUs may be the weak point in a lot of these in the future, and I was wondering if anyone had found the solutions yet.
Jay did it, if you have facebook, you can check this out.

(Update, the video seems protected in a close group. Anyway, he did that.
Screenshot 2019-11-22 at 3.55.17 AM.png

pacergh

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
I think I found someone who traced the wiring. I did re-run the PSU test and it looks like it IS working. So, now I have to go down through the various things that could be wrong. Which may mean taking it all apart. Still might be the PSU (which is why I wish I could just plug in another), but need to run it all down. (Kind of fun; for $50 this is worth it. Lol.)

pacergh

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2010
Well, ran down the diagnostics. Looks like it is a Backplane issue or a processor/processor board issue. Going to look into it some more, see if it's worth maybe tinkering with and buying some parts, or if modding the case to fit a Hackintosh may be the way to go.

Are there good quality locations for spares for Mac Pro 5,1s? Or is it Ebay Roulette and other internet sources?

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.