cMP + Sierra + 5K monitor + GTX 9xx = working?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rkuo, Nov 17, 2016.

1. rkuo macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have this combo working? I have been struggling to get this working on a Hackintosh build and have seen multiple complaints online about 5K simply not working with classic Mac Pro's either ... which would seem to indicate a problem with either Sierra or the new nVidia web drivers for Sierra. Just want to verify?

2. Derpage Suspended

A 980 isn't good enough to even run that set up. You should just stop trying until you have more power. You are chasing a fairy tale to be honest.

3. chriz_r macrumors member

chriz_r

980Ti is not capable of that resolution with a single cable. Straight from the NVidia website:

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 8.07.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 8.07.59 PM.png

It does say that 980ti supports 5K BUT using dual DisplayPorts. Even the Titan-X has the same specifications. Maybe someone is able to run it at 5K somehow with some fiddling and patience, but out of the box, its "not supported"

4. rkuo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but even my old macbook pro 2014 could drive my 5k display at 5K. The GTX 980 Ti definitely can and does in windows, and has in other builds on macOS in El Capitan. I'm just checking to see what's changed in Sierra and what's still working on official hardware.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2016 ---
    It's theoretically supported by the nVidia drivers and definitely worked in El Capitan. I'm looking for input from anyone who has this combo working in Sierra.

5. chriz_r macrumors member

chriz_r

Yes you're right about that, hence my last two words as "not supported" in qoutations, because the modding community is awesome at making things work when it shouldn't, especially to stick it to Apple. I have 970 El Cap and 980 on Sierra hackintoshes and work fine with multi-4k monitors but I don't personally have a 5K monitor to test the native resolution at 5K. Would like to try it out, i'll post back when I have.