CNet’s Must Have Apps for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Aidoon, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Aidoon, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

Aidoon macrumors newbie

Aidoon

Rick Broida of CNet wrote an article last week, “10 must have apps for Verizon iPhone Users”.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20031605-233.html

Anybody using these apps and have an opinion to share? Other "must have" apps to recommend?

1. DataVault Password Manager (Ascendo)
    2. Google Mobile App
    3. Key Ring Reward Cards (Mobestream)
    4. MapQuest 4 Mobile
    5. Overdrive Media Console
    6. Pic2shop (Vision Smarts)
    7. PlayonMobile (MediaMall)
    8. Print Magic (Wellala)
    9. RunKeeper Pro
    10. Tales to Go (Stitcher)

2. santie321 macrumors newbie

wow .. those are considered "must haves"?? guess opinions are like !@$. everyone has one. thanks for sharing...

3. kRobbin macrumors member

kRobbin

Datavault – Excellent, use it daily.
    Print Magic – Good, but some printer detection issues.

Going to try Google Mobile now...

4. Aidoon thread starter macrumors newbie

Aidoon

Google Mobile is brilliant, the voice recognition works quite well. Dragon has a nice app if your into VR.

The CNet article recommended Datavault in part for the desktop. Which desktop do you use, Mac or Windows? Do you sync over Mobile Me?

Thanks

5. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

1password > datavault.

6. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

+1

7. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

eWallet > 1password + datavault

8. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not sure I'd call these "must haves", but I do use a few of them on a regular basis. I've recently been putting RunKeeper to good use, and it's helping my workouts a lot. Key Ring Rewards is also a regularly used one for me. While I have Google Mobile I rarely use it, and MapQuest is probably the best free navigation app out there, but I paid good money for Navigon and I think it's fantastic. The one that really surprises me is PlayOn. I tried them as a solution for the Wii before Netflix came
    natively and I wasn't all that impressed. Truth is that for most if what PlayOn can do, I can do w/ another app better, and I don't need a constantly on Windows machine to do it.

9. kRobbin macrumors member

kRobbin

I use Datavault on Mac at home an PC at work. I sync over Box.net, a free webdav server. Datavault offers 5 webdav options + Mobile Me + sync over Wifi + a cable sync which I haven't tried.

The latest version has a backup & restore feature on the the device so you don't even have to get a desktop. Beware, some password keepers have expensive desktops and you pretty much have to get them to backup. That being said, I probably spend more time in the desktop versions, so not knocking the idea.

Datavault is my most used app but there are some others that weren't on the list that I find useful like...

Evernote
    Toodledo
    Perfect Photo

10. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

2DO > toodledo

11. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

I have been using Data Vault now for about a week on both my mac and iphone the wireless synching between the two is great I love the fact id I add something on the go on my iphone I can just come home and have in synch between the two and Im good to go on the mac. Also it is really feature rich product with plenty of options to customize your info so far I would give it an A+

J

12. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Here is another vote for DataVault from Ascendo. I am a former 1password Pro user and I find DataVault much easier to use. It's so customizable. I use the PC desktop version as well as it on my iPhone and iPad and it wirelessly syncs all my data perfectly across all my devices. LOVE IT!:D

13. Lioncrazz, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

Lioncrazz macrumors member

I love the Google mobile app. The VR search comes in handy quite often.

Overall, I thought that was a great article. I didn't have any of the apps on my phone and downloaded almost all of them.

14. 328iGuy macrumors member

I can definitely speak to DataVault. I have used DataVault for many years now between the OSX app, Blackberry, iPhone and iPad apps.

I use DataVault on a daily basis and it is considered my #1 app on my devices at all times.

I have used most of the other apps in either fully licensed or demo versions and I have yet to find one as user friendly, as nice an interface and to my taste as DataVault is.

If you purchase DataVault, I can guarantee, you will not regret it! :cool:

15. iAndrea macrumors newbie

I tried Overdrive Media Console after reading this article and it's an amazing concept !!!:D!!!

You can "checkout" ebooks and audio files from thousands of brick and mortar libraries, just like the physical copies, but no charge! Sometimes the book may be checked out but you go to a different library or wait list it. It makes you wonder how anybody is going to make money writing or singing but for eveybody else this is a godsend.

Some of my other favorite apps are In the Kitchen from Food Network and Great Quotes.

16. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Where is eWallets OSX desktop app? Oh wait, they don't have one.
    They promissed an OSX app so i paid for it n

1password > ewallet