[CNET] Clinton unveiling U.S. policy on Internet freedom

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Jan 21, 2010.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-10438686-265.html

I'll look for a better article, but from here, the article basically goes into live-blogging Sec. Clinton's speech at the Newseum. I'll pick a few more quotes:

2. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Well, that's fairly surprising. I hope the US Govt sticks to this policy but I remain doubtful. If a huge crisis hits the US I wouldn't be shocked to see Washington try and do the exact opposite of what she's talking about. Now if only she could get something done about the damned FCC and their censorship practices.

Kudos to Clinton.

3. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I hope she does a better job with the internet than Bill DMCA Clinton did.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I hope this isn't a rushed out response to Google and China and its either coincidence or they've decided nows a good time to launch it.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How about we let other countries do what they want and we can do what we want?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I suppose "imposing freedom" under Bush didn't exactly go down well, so I'm tempted to agree with this too.

7. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Nobody in the developed and developing world does what they want anymore -- the DMCA is a perfect example of this. By and large, it wasn't American over-reaching. It was an inevitability as a result of the WTO process. The era of doing what you want is over for most of us.

I'm sure no one is talking about invading China if they refuse freedom of speech. However, it seems evident in the modern era that freedom of speech is economically important, as well as morally important. Continuing to press the Chinese, the Iranians, and everyone else who oppose freedom of speech, in a diplomatic, but rigorous fashion, I think is a good thing.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

But what about the poor suffering Iraq people who needed to be freed?

Funny how conservatives always argue for a humble foreign policy when there's a Democrat in the WH...

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The internet is the gateway to the world. Everyone should have uncensored access to it.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Unless you're my kid. ;)

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Your kid probably knows all the work arounds.:p

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nope, not yet. He's only 3. Although he is pretty good at picking up my iPhone and playing Toki Tori.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its the ****ing internet. :rolleyes:

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, maybe you should have added that qualifier to your broad statement about allowing countries to do what they want. :rolleyes:

15. mkrishnan thread starter Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's exactly it, though. The internet contains ideas. Granted that it contains a lot of garbage, too, it contains ideas and allows people to talk to each other -- that automatically makes it more dangerous to any form of tyranny than any tank or bomb or gun can be.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ive talked with people from China (QQ) and Russia (ICQ), so talking doesn't seem to be an issue. The chinese people are aware that they are being blocked off by the government, many of them use proxies.

17. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

Very easy for you to say when you're in a country that lets you do and say what you want. I'd bet if you were in China and had filtered internet access you would not be on the side of just letting countries no care what's happening in others. We need to stand up for their rights. I cannot speak for you but if people are being oppressed in other countries (namely, China) I am not going to sit idly by and just let them be oppressed ( and this not just about having filtered internet there is no freedom of religion, etc.)

King Mook Mook

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They have a billion people over there, if they get pissed enough something is bound to happen. I don't care about talks about what other nations should do, but we really don't need to be getting into conflicts with China over this.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Are you sure about that.
    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9DBAUSO0.htm

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What's to say they won't cut off more people.

22. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

There's more to this than just the "open access to the Internet" issue...

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

So does anyone have an opinion on Net Neutrality? I would like to hear what the Brits have to say.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I am sure I have talked to chinese people about the firewall. They don't like it either.

I am wondering if this isn't more of a ploy from the US to get access to China's networks rather then a worry about chinese people getting out.