cnet ZUNE 80G vs iPod classic 80G review: its a tie (hilarious)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by clevin, Dec 7, 2007.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I thought it was interesting that in the 'first round' the third guy said coverflow is useless. Well, then why do I use it not only on my iPod, but also on my iPhone and in Leopard?:rolleyes:

Overall, interesting review... I'd like to hear others opinions...

3. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Well, Cover Flow's utility really depends on perspective. I find it completely useless myself.

4. calculus Guest

calculus

The perspective on mine, although admittedly not fully three dimensional, is fine ...

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Same here. Nice eye candy, but pointless.

6. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

I have no problem with cover flow,,, only when I have less collections, e.g. I have numerous albums on my mac mini, that cover flow was basically unusable, just too hard to use it in any practical way.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That was the most useless comparison I've ever seen. The iPod got lower points on the navigation round because one of the judges "has never been a fan of the scroll wheel"? That's not objective comparison, that's somebody's opinion. The scroll wheel has been praised by many for its ease of use. The iPod got lower points again in the sound category because someone would rather see "an FM tuner and support for a subscription music service." What does that have to do with the sound quality of the device? Once again Cnet has shown how completely useless and irrelevant they are in the world of computers. If you are going to do a comparison do a real one. Otherwise stop wasting everyone's time.

8. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I think you kind of misunderstood the category. The Category is Sound and Science. Which refers to sound of the device and other features it comes with.

9. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I would like to see a comparison between the iPod Touch and the touch-screen Zu---Wait a minute! Microsoft doesn't make a Zune with a touch interface! I take reviews from sites like CNet with a grain of salt, the truth is in actual customers who have paid for the product out of pocket and used it for a while.

10. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

somebody still regards iPT as a simple iPod? $299 for 8G is only for iPod? please.

iPT should be compared to a PDA, if you just have to compare everything from apple with something from M$, try all those WM PDAs, such as ... HP iPAQ.

11. lamerlizer macrumors regular

lamerlizer

"I'm digging the move towards metal on the face of the player, but the chrome metal backing and scratch-magnet screen haven't changed since the first generation. The iPhone and iPod Touch have moved to optical glass--it's time for the Classic to get some love, too. I'm waiting for the Classic to join the Shuffle and the iPod Touch as a player that can get stuck in your pocket or bag and not get scratched."

hmmm, join the shuffle and ipod touch as a player that doesn't scratch?isn't the ipod touch using a chrome metal back too?

crap.

12. bloodycape macrumors 65816

You can forget the galore of all those 3in and larger Windows CE devices like the upcoming iRiver W7, Cowon Q5, the many iStation devices running Win CE and so forth.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

It's all about the pretty colors man. Gotta dig them pretty colors.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think the article says out loud what we've all been thinking for ages: Except for the fact that it keeps getting thinner, and it can now play video, it's been unchanged since the iPod Photo in '04, and competition is finally catching up to it.

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I couldn't care less for Coverflow. I use my iPod to listen to music, not to pretend I'm looking at album covers.

16. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I have to agree that Coverflow on the Classic and Nano is largely useless. BUT, Coverflow on the Touch and iPhone is brilliant and very easy to use simply because of the ability to select tracks from the back of the album art. Much more useful.

17. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Competition caught up years ago and even surpassed the ipod in some ways, its just the fact that most of the competition was smaller companies, and Sony with their garbage software.

18. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I personally love CoverFlow. I hate scrolling through a list of albums/artists, it makes it really lifeless.

It's like if you asked most people which they would prefer, flicking through their CDs, or having a book with a list of all their CDs which they could choose from.

CoverFlow brings to the iPod what many vinyl fans have loved, actually flicking through your albums.

19. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I think the Zune 80 is better than the iPod Classic, but seriously, everything I read on CNet is very Microsoft-biased. I don't care about their reviews anymore unless it's for TVs or something.

20. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It would have been a more even score all round without the apparent Creative "fanboy" and clearly somewhat anti-iPod Jasmine France, but the other two reviewers seem to be more authoritatively even-handed. Having handled a Zune, I'd probably say the same thing as those two: The device is narrowly ahead of the iPod in some look & feel areas, but the superiority isn't convincing, the wifi is potentially useful but not in an everyday for everyone sense, and the overall ecosystem is still lacking in execution. Nice player and a worthy alternative, but only an alternative - not a compelling choice.

It is worth noting however that Microsoft obviously learns fast.

Personally, I agree that coverflow and also pure thumbnail-based viewing like the Zens are capable of are not hugely useful if you're not OCD about keeping your collection in order or if you don't buy your material 100% online. I rip most of my music at bitrates I want and in the format I want.

21. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Eh, they criticize Microsoft on many things. Ever seen what they have to say about Vista? ;)

22. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I don't regard the iPod Touch as as "a simple iPod" but it is nonetheless still part of the iPod family ;)

23. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

These reviews only prove these people are different

These types of reviews just prove that cnet is made up of the same type of people who design non-Apple products. They prefer features because they're fun-loving geeks who like to fiddle/play with things.

Most people are different than this. They like devices that simply do what they're supposed to do. When I bought the iPhone, a lot of regular people with fancy phones said, well my phone could browse the internet, view maps, play music, send emails, or whatever. I ask them to show me, and they often don't know how!

Of course, the geeks do know how, and they design and review these devices. I suspect that's why most regular people can't use the features on the electronic stuff they own.

24. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Well, C.Net's generally garbage. I wouldn't use their reviews to decide my next purchase of anything. They dock low-end cameras for not having bells and whistles, they penalized cars such as the Yaris and Fit for not having any fancy gadgetry, and they criticize budget cameras for having limited functionality. What a bunch of retards.

25. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Well, some interesting points are raised by the article, but the fact that they gave they rated the Zune as sexier than the iPod Classic strikes me as absurd. While I do think that Zunes are capable music players, I also think that they are quite visually bland.