CNN Article: Why is America the 'no-vacation nation'?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Stella, May 24, 2011.

1. Stella, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011

Stella macrumors 604

Stella

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I have a vacation once a year, and I party on weekends. Do other people get more than that? Am I missing out?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's not just that, but if you do have decent vacation time, you feel guilty for taking it or are too busy to take it. Or, you don't have any money to actually go anywhere.

4. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Short answers are yes and yes.

[​IMG]

I read the rant below a couple of years back on ginandtacos. It is specifically about the US on christmas eve but the sentiment of being seen to be at work and keeping up appearances applies across the world and across the year.

http://www.ginandtacos.com/2009/12/24/because-we-wouldnt-want-to-be-like-france/

5. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I'd rather spend my money making my home more vacation-ey. Buy a motorcycle to ride, a larger a lot with trees and maybe some water features, etc. so I can have a deck, a hammock, a nice vehicle so I can take weekend vacations without going anywhere.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Superb blog... er, cobber. :)

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually _some_ attribute it to the different heritage/historic background between the US and europe:
    many european settlers to the US were protestants and sometimes very diehard ones at that ... and one one part in protestantism back in the day was a sort of "you get a better afterlife if you work harder" attitude opposed to the "what i do doesn't change much anyway" attitude (fatalism ? don't know the correct word there) in the european catholics

these vague attitudes coming from an religious background have now became ingrained in societies even if the actual religion has become meaningless in daily life

it can be clearly seen in europe if you compare the southern, more catholic, european countries and the more northern protestant countries in regards to work ethics
    even more interesting: the effect of the counter reformation on certain regions: where despite being bringing back catholicism into protestant regions haven't eliminated the different work attitude like visible in southwest germany for example

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

:)

This is an interesting hypothesis.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

That graph is a little out of date. In the UK the paid holiday minimum is 28 days for someone working a normal 5 day week. I don't think that graph includes bank holidays, in the UK there are 8 a year. You can be forced to work them, but you must get 28 paid vacation days in total a year.

So I don't know what if the rest of the graph is a bit off as well.

Sucks to be American then!

I'm going to start as a lawyer next year (fingers crossed I pass my exams!) and my target hours are high, but still about 25% less than US firms in London. I think the US often gets the work-life balance a bit off!

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep.

In Canada, you get 2 weeks after one years service.

But most companies worth anything give you 3 weeks after 5 years, and 4 weeks after 10.

And probably more, but I am less sure about that level.

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

That. I've worked here for 6 years and I don't think I've had a vacation where I didn't have to work. I'm taking 3 weeks in July for my wedding/honeymoon and I feel guilty for taking them since it's going to be busy with various stuff. :rolleyes:

12. Stella thread starter macrumors 604

Stella

Most companies that I worked for gave 3 weeks. I wouldn't consider a company that gave only 2 weeks.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep, I always end up carrying over time, but I've been finding better ways to get rid of it, like taking a day off to play hockey during the week or something like that. Instead of doing it all in big chunks, I'm trying that approach.

14. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Travel broadens the mind.

Not only do Americans get less vacation, they spend more of it in their own country. That's a bad thing, both for their culture, their politics and their long term competitiveness.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

To be fair America is so huge that it can be like traveling to a different country. I know on my most recent trip the differences between New Orleans, Pensacola and New York were really quite vast.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

None of us can afford to go anywhere. :(:eek:

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

When I worked in the UK we had an an American boss whose idea of motivation was to suggest that weekends should be considered regular work days. He didn't last long. :D

18. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I absolutely disagree. When you've got a Pizza hut, McD, BK etc a block's drive away, you haven't left any sort of comfort zone or exposed yourself to any different culture. Travel isn't just about pretty vistas, it's about culture, language and people.

BS.

America is the land of consumer excess, multiple cars, consumer electronics etc. Your GDP is higher than European nations, yet Europeans travel a lot more.

It's a choice people make to buy a TV or a new iPad 2 rather than travel. In Europe the travelling culture is a lot more prevalent.

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

We have 33 days paid holiday which is the norm in my line of work (engineering).

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

How many people out there are only offered vacation without pay?

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have no car, no iPad and I do not spend excessively. My newest computer is over three years old. I wear my clothes til they have holes. I'm solidly middle class, but still cannot afford to go across the pond. I've been to Berlin once, and it broke the bank. The fact is that companies here don't pay like they used to. Been looking for a new job, but it's not like people are hiring aggressively at the moment. So I don't know what your idea of the US is, but mine is closer to reality than yours, trust me.

Unfortunately, a lot.

22. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Absolutely. I have had some holidays in the UK (why not see my own country?) but I couldn't imagine not going abroad. I love exploring different countries, cultures and cuisines.

I try to go abroad once a year, when my bank account lets me! Damn student poverty. :D

23. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Lee, that really sucks.

But Apple sold 10s of millions of iPads in the US - all to people with disposable income to spend on things like that. There are people with the money to spend on travel yet they do not.

Even before the current recession, people weren't travelling abroad.

24. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I think your version of Americans is a little skewed. The culture, language, and people can be completely different in different parts of the country. I'm a born and bred New Yorker, and I'm still adjusting to Texas after 5 years here. It's a completely different world.

And as far as traveling abroad, versus traveling within the US...airfare to Europe is crazy these days. I can get more bang for my buck traveling in country.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The thing is, I think a lot of people in the US spend money they don't have. I don't know how much of that was disposable income vs credit. And I don't mean to complain, but it's not getting better here, it's getting worse.

Also, I think iPads are replacing computers for most people who buy them. And they are a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new Mac.

It's a lot skewed.

Exactly, or Canada.