CNN editing Trump's tweets.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

CNN is now editing Trump's tweets before showing them on the news. I didn't think the CNN reporting could get any worse :(.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

YES IT CAN, wait till closer to election time.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's not called the Clinton News Network for nothing. That said Crooked is implied when talking about any politician.

5. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

As apposed to Breitbart, which surely has no political angle, even as its Executive Chairman members has joined the Trump campaign. :rolleyes:

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

CNN is completely in the tank for Hillary. You should see Anderson Cooper's fawning interviews with Grandma.

7. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Trump Tweet: "Just finished taping interview with Meagan Kelly."

CNN Edited Trump Tweet: "Just finished raping Meagan Kelly during interview".

8. Populism, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

To criticize CNN, one must champion Breitbart?

Why?

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I think it's called "reducto ad absurdum". My Latin may be off. It's when you defend a position by referencing the far extreme on the other side of the spectrum. It's a common tactic. It's lazy, in my opinion. It's popular with tweens and teens.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The OP is linking to a Breitbart article.

11. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

So, it didn't happen?

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Like that "Democrat" father of CEO daughter leech, this isn't going to help the "liberal" causes at all...

13. 1458279 Suspended

In their mind, yes, everything didn't happen unless their puppet master says it happened.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I imagine something has happened, but I wouldn't trust the account of a "news source" that is in bed with the Trump campaign.

Frankly removing the word "crooked" would only seem to benefit Trump, as it makes his statement look more professional.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 29, 2016 ---
    I'm a Jew. I am a puppet master. :p

15. 1458279 Suspended

I thought I saw some strings attached to your post :D

Just wondering, how much would it cost to get Hillary to say "I support the metric system and intend to pass laws to enforce the metric system" ? We could do a fundraiser for that :D

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm totally against CNN editing Trump's tweets.

People have a right to know exactly how crazy he is.

17. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm against the editing of anyones tweets. The media doesn't have to quote a tweet when doing a story on a tweet, They should however, not edit the tweet if they are quoting it in a story.

18. 1458279 Suspended

They did this because they probably understand Trumps branding power. Look at what he's done with everyone so far. He picks a slogan and keeps repeating it. Just as Hillary tries to define Trump, Trump tries to define Hillary. It's a way to bypass the expensive media costs and gets the job done.

19. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Journalistic integrity waved bye-bye a long time ago in this country. It's really not surprising that they would do this.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

That the dummies in Atlanta can't find their code of ethics booklets doesn't tell much about the rest of journalism. In fact, using the same argument, we should be able to argue that all Mac users are coffee-shop dwelling pinheads because of the one guy who did something stupid at a Starbucks that one time.

This is ridiculous and CNN has been falling down on the job for years, but this election season seems to have coincided with a special on frontal lobotomies at the Time Warner Center. I don't know what's going on there and I have no idea what would possess them to alter a Tweet.

That this comes from Breitbart—or Pravda for Trump!—is just a sign that we're due for a good meteor strike.

21. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I guess I shouldn't paint with too broad a brush, but CNN isn't the only media outlet guilty of certain biases. MSNBC to a greater extent for the Left and FoxNews for the Right sometimes have a little problem blurring the lines between news reporting and editorializing.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yeah, but CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News are only three networks that cover the news. There are literally thousands of other reporters working for print dailies, print weeklies, news magazines, online news networks, non-profit news, advocacy journalism, and local television outlets.

So, when you hammer at CNN and say "journalistic integrity waved bye-bye a long time ago in this country" you're criticizing thousands of people based on the actions of a decided few.

The media is bigger than cable news. And, I only wish that a local news daily would sell a day's worth of papers every time someone complains about the media when they mean cable tv news.

If you want better news, stop watching CNN and Fox News and go find a news source (or several of them) that has real credibility. And, pay for it.

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Guess I touched on a nerve I didn't know anyone had. Yikes...
    True, CNN, FoxNews, and MSNBC aren't the entire "media," but they are three of the biggest. I have no doubt that there are thousands of well-intentioned journalists in towns all across America. But unfortunately people don't go to smalltowniowagazette.com to get their news these days. It's all about clicks and revenue now. Sadly, more and more young people rely on Facebook and Twitter to see what's going on in the world and both of those sites have been caught censoring certain points of view.

24. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It is a cornerstone of civilized public debate and discourse that one refer to one's counterpart by means of their proper name, and that when referring to that person you accede them every courtesy - no matter how much one may disagree with the position, or even the very character, of that person.

That is why British members of Parliament refer to "The Honorable gentleman from Epping" or "The learned and honorable Member from Ipswich". That is why the United States Ambassador refers to the Russian Foreign Secretary as "The Honorable Foreign Secretary" - rather than "The two-faced lying sack of excrement". The rules of both the Senate and house of Representatives of the United States demand that members address one another appropriately on the floor and in any official capacity.

If Donald Trump had ever experienced any form of public service, from working as an attorney, to serving in a legislature, he would know this.

Hillary Clinton's name, education, and experience entitle her to be addressed as "Hillary Clinton"; "Mrs Clinton"; or (even) "The Honorable Secretary."

CNN is quite within their rights to edit out Trump's rude and imbecilic taunts. They serve no purpose, and are simply the mark of a vulgar and oafish individual doing his best to bring public discourse in this country down to his childish level.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm a hack. I've got a notebook, a press pass, and a surly expression on my face.

And, that's entirely the problem. People are going to CNN and not smalltowniowagazette.com and then complain about the news media. It's like eating McDonalds and arguing that all cheeseburgers are terrible.

That people continue to eat cheeseburgers at McDonalds is the problem, especially when it means the death of that kickass burger shack that's been grilling up awesome cheeseburgers for nearly a century.

Stop eating McDonalds. And, it's not like Facebook is specifically designed not to work with smalltowniowagazette.com, instead, Facebook can give that site more reach.

(This is a little more complicated because Facebook's is designed to give you the content you think you want rather than the content you need and allows the big boys to buy your eyeballs, but that's a different story. Also, the "trending stories" hairball wasn't overt censorship, but rather a program that included human beings, who sometimes excised certain sites because they didn't trust their credibility. Facebook recently replaced them with code, which immediately failed by sending fake stories to the trending timeline. Oops.)
    --- Post Merged, Aug 29, 2016 ---
    I disagree. Respectfully.

CNN is essentially quoting Trump. And, thus they should either paraphrase, or be clear that they excised part of the message. Now, I get not wanting to carry Trump's pail of bong-water, but that just means either follow-up or don't cover every dumb 140-character dross that comes from the @RealDonaldTrump account.