"CNN Edits Out Milwaukee Victim’s Sister Calling For Violence In ‘The Suburbs’"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Aug 16, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/c...calling-for-violence-in-the-suburbs/85107198/

Content is exclusively video.

But if it makes you feel better, Ebaums World also makes an edit. They quote "Stuff we need" when the person, who was edited in other ways by CNN, was clearly saying "**** we need" in the video - while proving her being incapable of understanding irony or empathy. Didn't know people wanted ****, but somehow I doubt she's being literal.

Not sure who is being the worst in this instance, CNN for altering context (or even content), or that woman for advocating violence in response to violence she had to endure that certainly doesn't resolve any problems...

The more the media covers this stuff up, the more that people will eventually side with the police. And, worst of all, it's not as much the media trying to spin or sell a lie, it's these people who want to advocate violence and their magical belief that violence will change anything. Do people not remember Dr Martin Luther King Jr?!! Apparently not.

2. Zenithal macrumors 68040

There's a reason stereotypes exist. All I'll say on the matter.

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

Trump's so right on about the dishonest media.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Meh. She lost her brother so I can understand her stupid comments

5. Zenithal macrumors 68040

People say stupid stuff when they're hurting. Their emotions skew the reality they face. However, it's not an excuse for the masses to get riled up through someone's words and act on them. The fact that some people claim that this is like the civil rights marches in the 60s is stupid. It wasn't like this. The only time violence was attributed of that era were white on black or those who were white and marched with blacks in the early years, labeled as race mixers. People weren't dragged out of their house or cars and pummeled into a bloody mess then like they are now. MLK is rolling his grave right now. This is a far cry from the days of the 60s.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

In this case I think, in a way, the media did the right thing by not posting the full context of the quote. That is excluding the part where she suggests people burn down the suburbs. The last thing the US need is someone inciting a civil war.

As awful as the message this women had, she was in pain and posting the full content on national television would only incite more class and racial warfare than already exists.

I do think the media is highly responsible in perpetuating this white cop vs. black man story ad nauseum. Any death is tragic, especially wrongful shootings. But we're at a point where now the automatic assumption of every cop vs. black man shooting is that it was wrongful, racist, and done by a white cop... Even though many of the shootings have been deemed justifiable or the cop ends up being black. I swear these shootings must take up 30% of the media airtime which is largely disproportionate.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

No where did I excuse the idiot looting stores in the name of justice , those morons need a hot lead injection

8. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I wasn't suggesting you were. I was suggesting others do and have in the past.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2016 ---
    It's done for profit.

9. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I can understand that, I just can't understand CNN reporting her as calling for peace.

Maybe the best thing would have been not to quote her at all in that case.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I would agree with that. I think they were trying to use the power of the image of the grieving sister to send a false message. There were other community representatives who requested peace.

This wouldn't be the first time CNN completely messes with quotes to change the meaning. I believe they were the ones who aired the Treyvon Martin 911 call that they rearranged and clipped and cropped to completely change the meaning of the conversation.

11. 1458279 Suspended

That has merit, and I don't know if she knew the shooter was Black, but you didn't address the issue of CNN editing out a key part that changes the entire meaning.

This is about at least two things:
    1. a person calling for burning down another part of the state where the event didn't even happen against people that had nothing to do with the event.

2. the media editing something that completely changes it's meaning.

I don't know what motive CNN would have for doing this.

If CNN knew the cop was Black, it could have been a "we better make this bad thing look better than it is so that we don't let the people see the truth about what people are really like".

If CNN didn't know the cop was Black, then it could be "we need to calm things down before it gets out of hand" In that case, they should have just passed on showing any of the video at all.

Remember how the audio was edited to promote racism in the Trayvon Martin case?

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/381387/sorry-nbc-you-owe-george-zimmerman-millions-j-delgado

While others coined the term "white hispanic" ... I still don't know what a "white hispanic" is, but clearly the media was trying to promote an agenda.

Just as much as they are now. Even Hillary getting in on it with "Whites need to think different" or however she put it, after those cops were shot.

Obama and Hillary, clearly have the media in their pocket fanning the flames of hate.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2016 ---
    Close, it was NBC.

12. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Is incitement to riot a stupid comment or a crime?

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

From the deceased's rap sheet, being a lost brother, given mortality rates in that situation, it was not a case of if, but of when. Family members do wind up tragically sad as they are pained by, but have little control over, a wayward sibling's ongoing activities.

But inciting that an ongoing riot relocate to a white suburb was, let's just say, too racist for CNN to honestly include. In which case, when does a hate crime kick in for the sister?

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

are you implying only whites live in suburbs?

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

If they were to bring this crap to the white suburbs there would most certainly be mass killings. They won't because they know that.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

thats true the cops would think open season.

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The racism in this forum seems embiggened in the last day or so. Or maybe it's just some sort of selection bias on my part.

18. zin macrumors 6502

Where is the racism in this thread?

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

You can start with the second post and all of its upvotes.

20. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Not just the cops. :) If those goons came into our neighborhood..... they would PRAY that the cops showed up. Trust me. ;)

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

[​IMG]
    simplicity.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

CNN was right to edit the quote. In times of violence, responsible journalists should consider language that may be inherently inciting and in some cases, edit or remove it altogether.

Good to see that people who pretend to care so much about the lives of journalists are also constantly denigrating the profession, as if that won't have any consequences.

23. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Should responsible historians edit history too?

24. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

CNN was not right to edit the quote - to entirely change the context.

Just don't report it at all.

25. FieldingMellish Suspended

... Or for Obama to scrub references to Muslims who were involved in terrorist incidents?

CNN: WRONG on scrubbing the historical record.

CNN: SO GOOD at subtle linking and unlinking miscellaneous bits that distort the news.