CNN expert demonstrates "full semi automatic"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TonyC28, Mar 1, 2018.

1. TonyC28, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018

TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

CNN did a segment where retired Lt. General Mark Hertling demonstrated the firing capabilities of an AR-15. In it, the "expert" goes on to fire the weapon in what he described as "full semi automatic", firing five shots in a second or two. The implication being that the AR-15 is unique in firing that rapidly (it isn't). This is the kind of thing CNN gets made fun of for. I find it very hard to believe that a former military member would not know that full semi automatic is not even a thing. I am very open to having a discussion about enhancing gun control measures. But when CNN runs this kind of segment it hurts the cause for "their" side because it's so easy to poke holes in. If everyone could just be honest maybe things could be advanced.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/02/27/ar-15s-up-close-tuchman-dnt-ac.cnn

2. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

3. chabig macrumors 603

Apparently the Army taught also taught him to grimace when he pulls the trigger.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

1. Most people who give a rip about guns aren't watching CNN. 2. The people who do are most likely ignorant on the subject of guns.

I have more issue with the tag line "weapons of war". Take a look at what side arms are given to Marines and they're no different then what you can buy in a gun store, will those be classified as "weapons of war" in due time simply because it's what our Marines carry?

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Guns with that capability should not be in civilian hands, it’s unbelievable that they currently are. I find the thought utterly terrifying to be honest.

6. Altis macrumors 68030

There would be a strong case to argue that mis-information (ie. propaganda) is an incredibly powerful weapon of war. Controlling information and influencing the direction people want to take their countries is about as powerful as it gets.

7. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Which capability?

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yeah it's called politics.

9. gkarris, Mar 1, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  10. Altis macrumors 68030

I was more referring to the media, private or "public", but yes indeed, politics are very much that way as well. The number of times politicians or government institutions misrepresent the state of affairs in order to justify a certain course of action is countless, regardless of political stance.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The media has gone to ****. Now it's just a matter of which arm of which political party does one belong to. I'll grant you that the left has considerable more arms on the TV then the right.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

He's a DAT

He was a pretty good commander at USAREUR though

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Can you translate that into English? Thanks.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

He's a Dumb A$$ Tanker

He was also the U.S. Army Europe Commander a few commanders ago and was pretty good all things given

15. Altis macrumors 68030

Yep, and it's leading to ever more hyper-partisanship. People's entire worldview (upon which they base the actions they support) depends entirely on which bubble they get their information from, and they end up with such hatred for "the other side." It's very unhealthy for society to be this way.

The most disingenuous form of deception, in my opinion, is lying by omission. These days, media outlets and politicians can leave people in the dark by simply choosing not to report on certain issues and excessively reporting on others. Then people simply refuse to believe something is happening because "their side" hasn't looked in to it or reported on it.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Lordy... that is all I really have to say. [Insert facepalm picture here]

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

To fire so many bullets in such a fast succession. Totally inappropriate for civilian use as far as I am concerned.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

You understand just about any semi-auto handgun can't be fired the same way. I can rip through a revolver in the same fashion. The first bullet might hit the target but the next 5 are in the ceiling.

19. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Don't you know semi-auto is the rate of fire? Lol, just goes to show you on CNN can be quite misleading and false and shameful an ex-military member passes such inaccurate information.

20. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

This.

21. jerwin macrumors 68020

It's shameful that those kids died.

Do you seek out technically accurate gun information as a way of numbing the existential pain of living in a violent world?

22. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

The "so many" part is a conversation worth having, but that would be about a lot more guns than the AR-15. The rapid succession part is what I found most funny about the video. You could fire a six-shot revolver as fast as that guy fired the AR-15.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 1, 2018 ---
    The problem here is journalism. At least one person at CNN (and in my opinion the expert actually doing the talking) had to know that a lot of what this guy was saying was total nonsense. "Full semi automatic" is not a real thing. The very words full and semi contradict themselves. And to demonstrate bang....bang...bang vs. bangbangbang and act like they are two different mechanics of firing was totally disingenuous. So why lie? Why misrepresent the facts?

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Many that want to regulate weapons want tighter regulations on all semi-automatic weapons, including handguns. However, they have to admit that a semi-automatic pistol might be a legitimate weapon for home defence. Not so for a semi-automatic rifle like the AR-15. So you can complain about the ignorance of the public, that is, the 60% of the US public who want tighter regulation (source), but you'd be dismissing the views of millions of people. They are not all ignorant of wepaons. Moreover, one does not have to have shooting range experience to understand simple physics.

Also, I've seen videos posted in MR that purportedly demonstrated that having a high capacity magazine has no effect, but of course the shooters are (1) staying stationary, firing at static targets; (2) not distracted by the threat of people returning fire or tackling them; and (3) are not pumped with adrenaline as I presume mass shooters are when they go on rampages. So, while there is a lot of ignorance out there, there is a lot of disinformation coming from the pro-gun lobby, and people are getting well fed up with it. That includes the many absurd claims that mangle the Constitution.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Probably not but when you're talking about banning guns it helps to be accurate on the technical side. Especially when said gun ban has more to do with the physical appearance of the gun more than the function.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The AR-15 functioned pretty well to murder 17 innocent people in Florida, not to mention wounding many others.