CNN guest blasts police for swarming ‘Straight Outta Compton’

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 17, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

er, there was plenty of sexism there.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/08/cnn...n-showings-we-cannot-racially-profile-movies/

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

What I object to is the whitewashing of a black film.

Gone from this bit of nostalgic history is the problems that were sprung upon the Korean community by the black community.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

did you watch the film?

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

That makes the experience of seeing the film feel more authentic, to have the police hassling you.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Pretty sure NWA were never a black film.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah, it's like Smell-O-Vision taken to a whole new level.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

Early on, the report I read was that preemptive protection was requested by the theater owners. Kevin Powell is being disingenuous and is only looking to stay noticed in the current black outrage vogue. Theater owners want to make money, but don't want their theaters trashed what with visuals being seen of late in places like Ferguson.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I could be wrong but didn't the NWA rap about drugs and gang life? cant imagine there would be any problems at a cultural documentary glorifying the foundations of the most violent segment of the U.S. populace.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So, what you're saying is that we should have extra security outside any movie glorifying the Mafia? Hell, SWAT teams should be stationed at every theater for premieres of every Martin Scorsese film, since so many of them depict and glorify the worst of the worst mobsters.

Or does that only apply to violent black criminals?

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

A Scorsese film during the heyday of the Mafia? Yeah, I would have expected beefed up security - especially if it was a biopic.

I'd also expect additional security at a biopic about MS-13 or the Aryan Brotherhood.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I can't wait for the 2 Live Crew documentary. First silent movie since, well, "Silent Movie."

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

You mean the most violent segment of the US populace, apart from the foreign policies which allow the murder and desecration of muslims in the middle east right?

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's ok, those are terrorist, they deserve it, ask Obama :D

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

yes because mobsters are really rolling heavy in most neighbourhoods these days.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That wouldn't be a segment of the populace, that would be a national policy, if you disagree with it I'm sure there's another thread to argue about whether the U.S. should be in an international war.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's not a police documentary...

17. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you could paint a house in one stroke with the brush you just used.

criminal gang members need a tourniquet to the neck so they can get away from the violent stupidity they engage in.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The movie was decent, not great or memorable. Plus, I doubt half of it was true.

As far as beefed up police at certain theaters, I agree with that decision. Especially the theaters in the hood or the ones where many from the hood go to. This movie was reminiscent of a certain era, and you do have idiots that probably what to relive that era by doing something stupid. Fortunately, every thing went well.

I remember the movie theater I used to go to had metal detectors, cause idiots would have shoot outs.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It was a joke ;). I agree gangs are worse than the police.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I want to read Luke's Book. I saw a interview of him recently and he spoke on some interesting things. I didn't know he actually design the explicit label we all see today.

21. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

never realized how scared people are of movies and music

22. FieldingMellish Suspended

There was no mention in the movie of attacks on women or the burning of Korean-owned stores the ground.

Michelle Malkin takes us back to some of the bad old days absent in this nostalgic slickly produced flick with heavy involvement by its rich and famous subjects. And she correlates it with similar activity taking place today.

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...mpton-bashing-asians-and-getting-away-with-it

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I haven't seen the movie, probably never will, but all the outrage surrounding it stinks of this new "no, everyone else is the real racists" trend we've been seeing a lot of recently.

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

This isn't a documentary. Who says these things need to be mentioned?

25. sim667 macrumors 65816

Your violent politicians who push this stuff through are part of your populace are they not?