CNN Headline "Can you really go blind staring at an eclipse?"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Aug 20, 2017.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

2. darksithpro macrumors regular

3. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Don't look directly at the sun, unless you are a Nazi. Only Nazis can look directly at the sun. It's well documented.

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Sorry but people don't know what everything or remember everything. So they are responsible and remind people. I am sure we could come up with a list of things we all should have known better not to do.

5. darksithpro macrumors regular

Oh, come on, loosen up a little. It was perfect timing and funny. If it was an Anti-Trump joke you would have given it a thumbs up, lighten up fellow PRSI comrade.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Ars recently had an article on a paper describing a girl that stared into the sun for a full minute. The article also mentions that 49 people in the states were treated for eye injuries during the last eclipse over there.

7. darksithpro macrumors regular

Like I said CNN's viewers need to be reminded.

8. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Don't go dancing after 5 or 6 pints of beer. That may seem like common sense but I make that mistake every weekend.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 20, 2017 ---
    Does that explain why Fox News has such high ratings? They can't even see?

9. darksithpro macrumors regular

Who would have ever guessed with your avatar?

10. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I'm trying to educate the people.

11. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

This isn't a question like what year did Julius Caesar die or what year was the Mona Lisa competed. We are talking about the freak'in Sun, it isn't something new! Not looking directly into the Sun is right around the same level as "fire is hot"...

12. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Good question. When was the MONA Lisa competed? No-one will know the answer, I bet.

13. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

14. darksithpro macrumors regular

Gosh, don't take my comment so seriously. It was a joke. I should at least get a thumbs up for being the first to do it. We need some alcohol in the PRSI, @fitshaced?

15. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

No takers? Ok, I'll give you the answer. I competed with the MONA Lisa in 1997 in a staring contest. I came third. You learn all sorts of useful information on here.

16. jerwin, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

jerwin macrumors 65816

Humans (and animals with similar physiologies) know when it's time to breath, when carbon dioxide builds up in the blood. If a human is exposed to a pure nitrogen atmosphere (or certain other anoxic atmospheres, such as helium), he or she, in a very real sense, forgets to breathe.

Now, when one looks at the naked sun, there's a very real impulse to look away. This instinctual response helps preserve ones corneas from UV radiation.

But when the sun is eclipsed by the moon, the brightness isn't there. Yet there's still a tremendous amount of UV light.

Just as humans have not developed the physiological response necessary to save themselves from a pure nitrogen atmosphere, humans have not developed the physiological response necessary to save their corneas from a solar eclipse.

Both situations are rare enough that the standard physiological responses---

Acidic blood means no oxygen.
    Super bright sunlight means UV radiation.

have worked pretty well, with a few notable exceptions. It's up to human culture to deal with those exceptional cases.

Food for thought: You wouldn't think to undress if you were suffering from hypothermia. Yet that's one of the symptoms.

17. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yes, yes you had your fun. I was going to edit the post and correct it but I didn't want to ruin your fun.

18. deany macrumors 68030

deany

When I was at school (happy days) in the 70s the second head told me a pupil had become blind staring at the Sun. That scared me.

19. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

This statement is just so ignorant that it hurts.

20. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

21. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Yes,staring at the sun for only a few minutes will at least cause partial blindness. Staring at sun reflections in clean,white snow,like arctic tundra,large ski slopes or extremely large fields will also cause blindness and severe eye pain. I got experiences from getting "snow blind" myself,could not face daylight withouth sunglasses for several weeks.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I know how that feels. I went through the same thing when a tree branch hit me in the eye.

23. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

Similar pain I guess,but different cause.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There is some hysteria on the part of parents who think if their kid catches a glimpse of the partial eclipse that they will go blind immediately. I've also seen articles rumbling around where a guy went partially blind after staring for a "few seconds" but a few seconds appears to be 20 seconds which is obviously way too much.

Wear your glasses, but don't scare the **** out of your kids.

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The problem is, once there is partial coverage it's very easy to stare at the sun due to lack of brightness. The average person associates brightness with not being able to stare at the sun, so they feel safe to stare when it isn't bright. Factor that with the fact that lack of brightness means people will not squint their eyes if they look, that's a problem. I wouldn't say this is a scare tactic.

It's equivalent to the false perception of people associating sunburn with hot weather, so they don't wear sunscreen nor hide from the sun when it's cold.