CNN Hits New Low, Hires Lewandowski

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jun 23, 2016.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The update in the story says it all.

If you or I lost our job after a period of a few months in which we were nearly prosecuted for assaulting a professional peer, were repeatedly caught lying in public by other peers, and were the subject of national headlines about how we'd called one former coworker a "****" and another a "****ing bitch," what do you think our chances of immediately getting another job would be? I'd say they'd be pretty damn low! Not so, though, for just-fired Donald Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski, who has just been hired by CNN as part of the network's ongoing quest to become America's least-respected news outlet. From Politico:

Former Donald Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski is joining CNN as a political commentator, according to a source familiar with the arrangement.
    It's a salaried position and will make Lewandowski exclusive to CNN, effective immediately.
    After the high-profile March 8 incident in which Lewandowski grabbed Breitbartreporter Michelle Fields (then denied doing so until security footage was released that showed him in the act), BuzzFeed actuallyreported that he'd pulled a similar move with a CNN reporter:

At a press conference earlier this month in West Palm Beach, Florida, Lewandowski physically pushed CNN reporter Noah Gray away from Trump as he tried to ask the candidate a question, according to a source with close knowledge of the incident.
    (Lewandowski said the BuzzFeed report was "factually inaccurate.")

One thing that gets buried sometimes amidst CNN's embarrassing willingness to do anything Donald Trump wants and its affinity for "provocative" bimbos like Piers Morgan and Don Lemon is that the outlet actually also employs a lot of very good journalists around the world; when there's a breaking domestic or international crisis, CNN is actually a very useful source of information. It's just too bad that at all othertimes its content is the television equivalent of walking into a lamppost.

By the way, here are the official guidelines for employee conduct issued by CNN's corporate parent, Time Warner. The section about promoting a "respectful workplace" and "maintaining a safe and healthy work environment" starts on page 8.

Update, 3:15 p.m.: I forgot to mention that it's been previously reported that Lewandowski is subject to a "legally binding nondisclosure agreement" that prohibits him from disparaging Donald Trump or any member of Trump's family. And this is someone who CNN is paying to comment on the ongoing presidential election, 50 percent of whose major-party candidates are Donald Trump. Truly a stellar hire on every level.

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

It's for ratings.

Last year's tell:

Election 2016: CNN Hires Nearly 40 New Political Reporters in Effort to Boost Ratings

"The hope is that the poaching will help CNN close the ratings gap with perennial victor Fox News and further distance itself from third-place MSNBC. In 2012, FNC averaged 363,000 in the news demo of adults 25-to-54 in the run-up to the re-election of President Obama, while MSNBC averaged 239,000. CNN, which doesn't align itself with either political perspective and suffered lows that year, averaged 189,000."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/election-2016-cnn-hires-40-789895

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In all fairness, Fox did the same thing. Two words: Juan Williams.

BL.

4. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

I could buy me one of them new fangled iPhones if I had a nickel for every post rdowns made about Trump. Bro, you need professional help with your Trump OCD. Just sayin.... :D

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

6. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I understand and respect the concern the OP has over this. I (personally) believe that Lewandowski is an oafish, violent creep who oughtn't to be let within a thousand miles of a serious Presidential Campaign.

That said, however, I'll support CNN's decision to hire him in the capacity they have. In much the same way as I'd have supported the BBC paying for Rudolf Hess' opinion on Hitler's next move if Hess had defected from Nazi Germany in 1938 rather than 1941.

Journalism is a complicated business. You need to balance the need to maintain impartiality with the need to find informed sources. If you want to know what's really going on inside the Columbian drug cartels, its no good taking to a guy whose spent his life following sports stories in Cleveland. You need a guys whose got his hands dirty in Medellin and Cali.

Horrible human being or otherwise that Lewandowski might be, as an informed voter, I'd far rather know whatever perverted machinations were going on inside the Trump Campaign. No matter how tainted the source.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

But that's just it....I sincerely doubt he will be coughing up any info. So basically it is just another empty suit babbling about nothing. What's the point of that?

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It's the Democratic Way.

Spend a fortune...get nothing :eek:

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

They should have hired one of his children with a $600K salary.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Most of what they do is to simply secure a long term voter base regardless of the cost and impact.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

NBC hired Chelsea Clinton for no other reason than her impeccable journalistic credentials.

12. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

But... but... Isn't CNN the "Clinton News Network"? Or that's what all the Republicans and Berniebots say. What if CNN is actually neutral, like the one outlet, Politico, which Republicans claim is left-leaning (despite it being owned by a Republican, apparently :) )?

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's the problem with people and politics and their thinking today. Unless someone is 100% with you, then that must mean they are 100% against you and with the other guy! It is such a fallacy in thinking. It's quite possible for a network to present the case for both sides. I think CNN does a pretty good job of this.

Really, how many Republicans do they have to employ before the Clinton News Network types will get it?

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

While obviously that was a gimmick, the fundamental difference is that Clinton wasn’t running for president in 2011.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

CNN needs all the viewers it can get by any means necessary.

16. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

And they’re going to sacrifice whatever journalistic integrity they had left to do it?

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

CNN hasn't had any journalistic integrity since the 1990's. No loss there.

18. 617aircav Suspended

CNN repeatedly tell lies so he is in good company. He never assaulted anyone so that has no relevance.

19. 617aircav Suspended

You are joking right? Integrity and CNN. Lol.

20. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I know there’s not much there anyway, but this just completely kills it.