CNN international and aesthetics/images of News Channels

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSamurai, Apr 14, 2008.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

//I've now changed the thread title because the things discussed here are slightly different from the first thread.

I'm watching CNN (your world today) now and the spinning globe at the background was changes to a huge dark blue cnn logo. I think the old globe looks better though, although the darker background has a much "elegant" look.

I've added before/after pictures, scroll down.

2. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I can honestly say I didn't notice. But good observation, I will have to check it out later though. :)

3. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

4. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I can't record vids at the moment, but here you go, quick screenshots. Business International with Becky Anderson at the London studio.

before:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]

5. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Weird. I've become a fan of CNN International over the last few weeks, but since I live in the US, I only get the domestic channel on my TV, but I can watch CNN Today from Hong Kong on their website, and they still had the silver globes.

Were the opening graphics changed to this glass blue CNN logo, or was it just the rear projection panels on their set?

I must say that I really like CNNI's look and continuity, though I don't care for this glass blue CNN stuff, either. It looks like something out of the domestic channel.

6. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

They've changed the rear projection screen's spinning globe, and the opening sequence is still the same. I very much like their graphics, neat and simple. I haven't seen broadcasts from hongkong yet (CNN today or world news Asia), but maybe they kept the old graphics there becauser the screen is smaller. they could be changing the opening graphics soon as well.

And it's quite true: that huge blue CNN logo moving in the background reminds of the local US version. On the screen there's now 3 logos displaying simultaneously!!!

7. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

On CNN Today from Hong Kong, the rear projection either shows the spinning globes montage or a simple view of Victoria Harbor. I haven't seen this blue CNN logo on it.

I've never watched Your World Today. They used to run it on the domestic channel, but they got rid of it a few months ago and run Ballot Bowl instead. :rolleyes: (Do we not have enough election coverage as it is???)

Does Your World Today broadcast from London or Atlanta? Has CNN Today or World News Europe from London changed their rear projection graphics?

8. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I can never watch CNN today from hong kong because they broadcast it mid night in my time zone.

I guess the new graphics for the rear projection panels there isn't compatible.

Your world today broadcasts from Atlanta, at about 2pm GMT for 4 hours. Atlanta and London's studios are really similar, except London's rear projection screen is slightly narrower than Atlanta's. They've changed both the two screens' graphics (scroll up for screenshot of London's studio) in all programmes coming out there.

No wonder they don't say "this hour of your world today is broadcasted in the united states as well" any more.

9. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

double posting here, but I'm watching world news Asia (coming from hong kong) and they've changed their RPS background to that huge floating CNN logo. So you'll be able to catch that on CNN today tomorrow.

Btw that presenter (Anjali Rao) is quite good looking.

10. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

No! Why are they doing this? It's messing up their continuity. Maybe it's temporary?

Have you watched CNN Today from London?

And I'll agree that all the CNNI female presenters are quite attractive.

11. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

they are messing with their continuity! I highly doubt that it's temporary because they've been using the globe since 2006's CNNI revamp. They're just putting so many logos every where. Gosh, I know I'm watching CNN lol!

Yes, CNN Today in London is the only "Today" I can watch because it airs from 6am - 9am GMT+2. I think that's what US viewers can get on the local CNN.

12. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Wow, from what I can tell that looks horrible. Almost like going backwards to CNN International's previous theme and really similar to the CNN US look.

I always liked CNN International's "new" brand identity, so this change is most unfortunate (even though it's not really that BIG of a deal, as I'm sure their reporting/programs are the same). Still, I wonder why the change?

On a side note, back at home we got both the CNN U.S. and CNN International, and I always confuse my family whenever I set the TV on default to CNN International and not the U.S. version.

13. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

To my knowledge, CNN US does not regularly broadcast even a minute of CNNI anymore. The only thing we Americans can get from CNNI is CNN Today from Hong Kong, which airs for two hours online Monday-Thursday, and World News Asia on Friday.

It's really odd that they've kept the logo opening bumper, music, lower thirds, and other graphics, but have changed the rear projection montage. I wouldn't think they would do something radically different since their logo has the silver globe in it, and usually when a television network changes their image, they either do it gradually by phasing out the old, or doing it overnight.

14. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

That's sad! Only live on the internet!?

I think they'll do a revamp of the news channel gradually, bit by bit. Probably the board of directors are sitting there wanting to "emphasise the CNN brand image by using as many logos as possible". They've added newer background music every now and then, and one or two new opening graphics. The whole opening and closing would probably be phased out soon, just give the graphic designers some time. I hope it'll turn out better than the current one. Studio? Maybe. I'll give it about a year or two. They should get bigger RP screens like the one on CNN US (saw a vid on their site) in all their studios. Hong Kong's screens are tiny!

I found this a few weeks ago about their new set's construction: http://youtube.com/watch?v=TlZAsQ3O1VI

Al Jazeera has quite a clean look to their news image, CNN should learn from them.

OK, so there's no CNNI on US soil anymore. This gives me another reason for them to adopt British English. They're probably the only international news channel that doesn't regulate their English.

Once they're reporting about the flight cancellations, with the captions "canceled" while in the video showing the airport's flight boards spelled "cancelled". On their news ticker they spelled it "cancelled". How appalling.

Gosh, do they speak English? Double the 'l' preceding 'e' for any suffixes.

15. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

And at certain hours. Most of the time, the the live video on their website is either offline and not broadcasting or showing some junk their CNN.com division produces that's more similar to the US channel than the international channel.

There's no doubt they will change it, but you'd think they would keep their world aesthetic and not go back to the pre-2006 CNNI or CNN/US, since I've read that the response to their new image has been overwhelmingly positive. I doubt the studios will be changed anytime soon, since the Atlanta and London sets are just over a year old, and the Hong Kong set is less than a year old. I don't think they can build a very big set for the Hong Kong studio since it appears they are limited on studio space. I actually like how that set has three separate screens instead of one big one. When they show the live camera of Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong, the rear projection screens really make them look like windows.

And if you think CNNI does too much branding, you're lucky you don't have to deal with Fox News in your country, where at any given hour of the day, each corner of the screen is showing "FOX NEWS" somehow. I guess they really are that important.

I've never watched Al Jazeera, except for when the US news stations show it during war coverage.

About the spelling, they are an American company, so it does make some sense that the backend would spell it the American way, though if they want to keep this worldwide aesthetic, I would suggest using British English, as well.

16. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

//I've now changed the thread title because the things discussed here are slightly different from the first thread.

By the way, HM the Queen opened the studio in London. Just another trivia.

After looking at the videos on youtube I see why they've kept it 3 screens. It's ironic why they've changed the studio to match the other two HQs. The original HK studio had a 'warm' feeling (from the wood panels) and the 3 screens are see through. I like that.

See my diagram below.
    [​IMG]
    2003: old studio
    2007: same studio with 3 screens installed
    2007: temporary studio
    2007: new, smaller studio

Check out Al Jazeera here, they might sound hideous to some but they're overwhelmingly good, especially their contents. They have a HUGE HQ in Doha, as well as London, Washington DC and Kuala Lumpur.

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=pkRhhE6AZm8&fmt=18

I suppose if they keep it in American English, they'll just irritate and confuse British English-speaking people. However, they do use the metric units :)

-
    I also find it strange that when one channel's programme is about the business, all the other channels will also report on business. Same as sports and other stuff - they want you to watch their channel... Another thing is that Al Jazeera and CNN at a specific time both air from London :p

17. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I dont bother watching CNN it's terrible, some horrible stereo-typical british gay, i don't remember his name, 'represents' cnn london.

BBC all the way :)

18. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I don't like their old set. I don't usually like sets where you can see a newsroom in the background; they look too cluttered. I really like their new set.

Whoa! That's definitely cooler than the dinky footage the US channels show and downplay when talking about war coverage.

I'd forgotten about that. Even Mari Ramos, who is an American and does the CNN Today HK weather updates from Atlanta, always uses the metric system and celsius. Though, when the channel goes through their list of forecasts for a few dozen cities, they'll show the temps in both systems.

19. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

Sky news has this type of approach... slightly CNN ish and news room mixed. they also have a huge studio.

BBC today has updated their news graphics. It now looks cleaner than CNN's, although the news ticker is now too small and they should get rid of their existing studios :p