CNN Interview with Three Americans Detained in North Korea

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Gutwrench, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I'm surprised to find no conversation on this, or maybe I missed it.

Any theories on why North Korea arranged these interviews?

Do you feel the United States should send a high ranking envoy?

I realize Matthew Miller is still an American, but if the allegations are true, does his frustration over "no movement" by his government raise any eye brows? I suppose it shouldn't as it's likely every answer made by the three were carefully reviewed and approved by North Korea in advance.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sounds like a job for Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton.

Or Dennis Rodman. :D

3. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

Ha ha. I was thinking Rodman too. I'm not sure a high profile envoy is a good idea here. But I'm not too well informed on these things.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

You are laughing now ...

[​IMG]

5. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

It looks like a "ping" to me; over all the IS trouble and Ukraine the "dear leader" might need ... a hug

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Meme fail. That's a picture of Michael Jordan.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

You didn't understand the meme.

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    It's Michael Jordan crying because...Dennis Rodman. We're all screwed!

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And now that I do, it's still not funny. Shrug.

10. Ledgem macrumors 65832

Ledgem

They want attention. What should the US do? I know this will sound cruel, but I wouldn't want them to do too much.

I admit that I'm curious about North Korea and would take a trip there if it were safe, but they have a history of imprisoning Americans over frivolous charges. Is there any American who is familiar with North Korea (enough to take a trip there) and who really doesn't know this? So they were imprisoned and now they want the government to come save them. If there aren't any major terms or sacrifices on our end involved, then sure, do it and bring them home. Otherwise, they did something that I'd consider to be foolish and reckless, and I don't think that all of American society should have to pay to bring them back.

Especially the guy who left the US seeking "asylum" in North Korea. That he wants the US government to save him now leads me to believe that the North Korean government is putting him up to it, or he suffers from some sort of mental disorder.

11. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

There are consequences for choosing to go to the other side willingly. We are certainly not beholden to go to any exemplary extremes to bring someone home that makes that choice.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Political positioning (sometimes known as propaganda).

The U.S. should always engage ... even with nations we don't agree with.

JMHO.

13. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Maybe they think we've got a few of theirs in Gitmo to trade.

14. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

They want us to send a high level envoy, which is what we should've done a while ago. We've already sent President Clinton and Carter to bring back detained Americans. Should send Bush next :p

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

What? You mean no talk of arming up and bombing the hell out of them? I thought that's how we handled our business! :eek: :rolleyes:

BL.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree completely. Even someone who goes close to the Chinese or Russian and North Korean borders.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

Everytime MJ cries, a kitten dies :(

18. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Brad, and what gave you that idea? Just because I'm a Republican? I think you know by now, that I'm a Complicated Republican.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How about the two that were there spreading the word of god ask god for help getting out since he's the one who told them to go in the first place. And the other moron who went there asking for asylum can stay there since he thinks the DPRK is better than the US.

This is the one time I hope the US government doesn't intervene and help these morons get out. It's a waste of our time and resources. If you willingly go to North Korea and do stupid ****, you have to suffer the consequences.

20. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

"Onions have layers, ogres have layers. You get it? We both have layers!" -Shrek

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Did I specifically say you?

Good cases in point: McCain, in regards to wanting to attack Syria because of IS. You actually came up with something more diplomatic than the typical Red drivel about going in and bombing the hell out of DPRK.

Oh.. I guess I should have been more specific than just the :eek: :rolleyes: to indicate sarcasm.

BL.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 68000

Southern Dad

Yes, you did. You quoted me and put the comment under the quote. If you weren't directing it specifically at me, then you made an error replying to me with it.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Many--if not most--of these imprisoned foreigners (such as Kenneth Bae) are hard-core Christians proselytizing their religion, which is against North Korean law.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I wasn't directing this at you. As said in a previous thread, please adjust your sarcasm meter.

BL.