CNN Money's best places to live 2007

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by furcalchick, Jul 18, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

cnn's list came out the other day here, http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/moneymag/0707/gallery.BPTL_top_100.moneymag/index.html and i thought we can talk about it a little bit.

one thing i don't get is most of these best places to live are far flung suburbs in the country where the only mode of transportation many times is your car. i personally don't think that a big house in a gated area in suburbia makes it a great place to live. but it's just my thought, i personally would like san diego as a great place to live, but not a far flung suburb of it. i can't live in my car.

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

For some of these places I am not sure "opportunity" is the right word, when the median home price approaches $700,000-800,000.

3. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think the formula they used probably compensated for the high price with great schools, low crime and "stuff to do." Plus, for a lot of those areas, if you are already an owner in another high priced area, you can flip your equity into another high priced house without much damage.

If you're like me, you need to find a nice place that is affordable. Papillon, NE (No. 6) and Apex, NC (no. 14) seem pretty nice.

I think that the problem with a lot of the more urban areas is that you end up with high priced homes, lots of people, traffic, schools not as nice as the outlying areas, and crime. There's a lot to do and it's easy to get around, but for most families (I expect this is who they gear their list towards), it's not the life that they want. But, I don't know if that was enoguh reason to hide it in the PRSI...

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

and I guess "median" may not be the most descriptive stat for housing costs, but on the surface it seems some, not all, of these places are just not for the everyday Joe. I guess the everyday joe doesn't read the CNN Money section either though.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I skimmed through and none of these places sound cool except for maybe a short visit. What the hell?

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I can vouch for Papillion. I knew there was a reason I live in this area. Only complaint is the outragious property taxes. A lot better quality of life since I moved out of San Diego. The temperate weather there just doesn't make up for all the other detractions.

7. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Charming, quaint, small-town USA tourist attractions? That's what I thought.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah- for example, I just got back from a wedding in Door County, Wisconsin. It was pretty, but I certainly don't want to live there. Not enough action for me. I'd be bored silly.

9. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

also, most of those places are suburbs, usually about an hour away from the center city. not my kind of place, isolated from the rest of the world, and a car dependent lifestyle is likely. that's why i complain about it. big cheap houses aren't the end all for many people. i would rather be close to the city, paying a bit of a premium on a house, and especially with peak oil here, have a lifestyle that doesn't hinge on your car. trust me, the lifestyle of far flung suburbs aren't really all that. and plus, as someone that's spontaneous, i would like stuff to do that doesn't require planning, something that is lacking where i live right now.

10. pdham macrumors member

I live in Madison and work in Middleton (number 1 on the list). The two cities are connected to one another with no distinction of Madison's end and Middleton's begining. Middleton is a nice city with a little downtown of its own that feels very "small town." Plus you are only a 20 min bike ride to downtown Madison (commuting by bike is VERY popular around here). It has become the location of choice for most of the University of Wisconsin professors and Madison business folk. Compared to others on the list it isnt that unaffordable; the median home price is probably around 300,000. That being said I wouldnt want to live there :)

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

Really? I was just there all of last week!

But I agree, I couldn't live there. A week was enough, even though I require far less of an action-oriented location than you do. I could run and swim there, and hang out with the kids eating cherry pie, so I was happy. :D

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Median house price is a good indicator. Of course that means that half the houses sell for less than that number, and half sell for more. The rub is that while half may sell for less, it's not MUCH less generally in my experience. And the ones that sell for more can sell for a LOTmore.

Another good indicator is the "affordibility index" or the percentage of people in the area who can afford to buy the median house. In my area, less than 20% of residents can afford payments on the median house price.

13. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

So you mean the median indicator then really doesn't describe what the average person is doing? Sorry, housing stats really are not my thing.

I'm all for people getting out into the country. Of course getting out into the country in AK means not these charming, quaint communities but instead going to villages where students have hunting rifles strapped to their ATVs. and the average home is a patch-work quilt of scrap lumber and metal.

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I guess I'm one of the few. As long as the schools were good and I had a stable job, I'd love to live a life like that - swimming and cherry pie would be good enough for me (well, apple pie in the fall/winter). The only problem I have with places like WI and NH is I don't think I'd care too much for those nasty winters...

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I did like it up there, don't get me wrong. It was a nice change of pace. But I grew up between two cornfields, so I guess I've had enough of that. I'm a city boy at heart. I love to walk out the door and be in the middle of all the action.

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

I guess I was more curious as to when you were there, since it sounds like we might have been there at the same time.

As for the CNN list, it was interesting to see San Diego as the top big city. Chicago was #2, although I ranked it #1.

17. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i personally think san diego is the best big city i've lived in, better than the dump i'm in now, i'm itching to leave, it's so horrible here. nothing to do, it's always hot/rainy, everyone is old (oldest demographic in america actually), it's 10 minutes to the store, hour to anyplace interesting, so the suburbs aren't really all that.

plus, there was a population limit of 50,000 for the list. so you can say this would be the best small/non towns to live.

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Oh, well. I love where I live, even if it didn't make the Hot 100. :D

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And we love you, lyle. :)

I was there two weekends ago over the seventh of course. 7/7/07- everyone's favorite wedding date. My friend Ed got married up at Bjorklunden lodge. We wedding-goers had the whole place to ourselves. It was great.

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

Same here - hope you had a nice time! We were in Fish Creek.

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hm, as for the initial list... I did a quick browse through and the only one that seemed remotely familiar was Coronado, CA and I'd agree w/ Lee, definitely more of a touristy place. Much too quiet (er, except for tourists and military) for me.

Shrug. I've spent little time in both, but more in SD given the fact that my sister has lived there for the last decade. They're v different places-- SD is so laid back and so uptight in different ways. Flip-flops are the norm = laid back. Stuck up, yuppie pricks = uptight. Chicago: folks dress a little nicer in general = uptight. Folks seem to be more genuine = laid back. :p
    Shocking. ;)

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We did- although it's all a bit fuzzy. ;) Although I do remember flirting with the cutest guy who was working at The Blue Ox tavern. :)

The lodge is right by Bailey's Harbor, so we were pretty close!

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry! I just couldn't resist this!

Hee-hee! Sounds perfect for a conservative! :D Who needs those damn artists anyway! :)

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The way I see it, I can get a really nice place for $200k+ and then with the gobs of money that I save compared with living in the DC area, fly to the Smithsonian. Or Louvre. Or MOMA. Or...Plus, even if I did live in an area with lots of art and culture, if I wanted another type of art/culture I'd have to travel anyways.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was picking on Swarmlord. :)

BTW- $200k is hardly cheap. You can get a really nice 2 bedroom condo here in the city for $200k. And yes, in a nice neighborhood.