CNN Poll: Majority approve of same-sex marriage

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Aug 12, 2010.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/08/cnn-poll-is-first-to-show-majority.html

Not much else to add here. Maybe our politicians will stop trying to fight it since it's what Americans want. Nah, who am I kidding, the politicians won't stop fighting it because their warped view still thinks gays are going to bring America to an end.

And since a gay marriage thread (or any thread) just wouldn't be complete without a drawing that looks like a penis, here's Nate Silver's graph showing public support for same sex marriage:

[​IMG]

:D

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We can't even get DADT repealed, which is what the cast majority wants. This poll won't change their minds either.

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

True. Although I do think having public support on your side does help, even if it's not helping fast enough. If an overwhelming majority of Americans were for DADT, I don't even think repeal would have been up for discussion. And I do think it means that later on down the road, when the current crop of politicians either retire or die, the replacements that are voted on, and the people voting for them, will be more likely to be supportive of gay rights, and same for future SCOTUS justices.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Seriously though- we've waited long enough on DADT. It's ridiculous at this point. Enough waiting.The military was integrated when it was unpopular. We can't even get this thing repealed when most people want it repealed. That's not right.

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I agree, it's one of the things Obama has majorly f'ed up on. I understand the need to have it repealed through legislation instead of an executive order, since a future president can sign a new EO and reinstate DADT, but it's obvious Congress isn't doing a thing, so just sign the damn EO and push legislation through Congress before 2012. And even if Congress never repeals DADT, I highly doubt a future repub president would reinstate DADT with an EO because of it's overwhelming support.

6. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Same Sex

I think that the Republicans have gotten caught up in a ridiculous circle of assumptions. The vast majority of conservatives I know (Yes, even the religious ones) have no opinion on gay-marriage. They don't really care who gets married to who.

I believe that the GOP is convinced that all the republicans are anti-gay, so they keep backing anti-gay people. The republican voters are convinced that the only kind of republican they can get elected is an anti-gay one.

Its crazy. And its stupid.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. I would seriously doubt any future president would reverse it. This needs to end now.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

IIRC, Nate did one of his regression analyses a couple years ago on how long it would take marriage equality to net a positive favorability score. At the time, I think he was predicting that national public opinion wouldn't be here for several more years.

Seems like things are changing even faster than he predicted.

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

What the hell happened in mid-to-late 2003? Anybody remember?

I don't remember anything out of the ordinary that seems relevant, yet there's that weird blip that breaks the otherwise pretty smooth trend. The uptick in opposition started first, and then shortly thereafter started to erode the support, but then by February the 20-year trend had resumed.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

George Bush and the Republicans were in power, I'm guessing. I believe they started coming after us pretty hard right about then.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Heh... heh... you said hard.

Shut up Beavis!

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Seriously though- that was right about the time they started screaming about gay marriage. That brought tons of attention to the issue and people talked about it a lot. And when people start having serious discussions about things like this, people learn.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Harder than normal for a Republican administration? I mean, the Iraq invasion had just happened, and I recall them being pretty focused on that, but that should not have had an effect on gay rights issues. If they were doing something super-special that had that much of an effect in that particular year, that wasn't reproduced in any other year in the last thirty, I am curious what it was, because nothing stands out in my mind.

Edit: Yeah, maybe you're right, Lee. Perhaps it was just that people started talking about it seriously at that point. Interestingly, Newsom's gay marriage defiance happened in late January of 2004, right at the peak of the spike in opposition. Dang, was it really that long ago?

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They started using it for their re-election bid around that time. Trust me, I remember. :mad:

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

honestly does not matter if the majority support it. what matters is who is bribbing them with campaign funding and if they support it or not.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Ah, right, then. Nothing like a good old-fashioned gay panic to distract people from an indefensible military action.

17. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

A lot of states had gay marriage bans on the ballot in 2004. Probably the only reason Dubya got reelected.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, I think you're right. 2004 was very much a "gays guns and god" election where Rove was counting on an energetic evangelical base to push them over the top. That campaign was an ugly one.

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Well, yeah, but the spike comes a full year early, and had resumed status quo by the 2004 elections. Did they have a problem with premature excoriation?