CNN publishes from ambassador's diary against family's wishes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Sep 25, 2012.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

CNN should have 1st gone to the state department; that could have contained confidential information. When it decided to ignore that, how can it do that to the family. Pretty crappy if you ask me.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Yeah CNN crossed some major ethical lines. A personal journal should not be published no matter what. I say the family should sue the crap out of CNN and make CNN pay dearly for it.

3. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Dunno about in the us, but in the uk and europe, the human rights act prevents things exactly like this. The right to respect privacy and family life. You guys need something like that.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Well if he was worried about extremism, then why wasn't security bulked up?

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And yet Rupert Murdoch isn't in jail for the News Corp phone hacking scandal.......

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

He has to request additional security which is first provided by the hosting country, then provided by the US Marines if ordered to do so by the President.

7. Fazzy macrumors 6502

We're still going through a long, drawn out, and pointless inquiry but we have to remember, murdoch and friends are above the law ;)

8. 184550 Guest

Why is it of no surprise to me that Hastings is in the middle of this **** storm? :rolleyes:

----------

Not sure where you've gotten your information since you've only linked to Faux News, but I suggest you read this summary by the NYT.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

According to the NYTimes story, CNN did contact the family and didn't reveal direct quotes, but rather used the document as a starting ground for other interviews.

I'd feel different if CNN read the diary aloud, without editing or context, or refused to return the document to State or the family. But, CNN found the document in the field, examined it, and then returned it.

10. AhmedFaisal Guest

I would be deeply offended if anyone read my diaries to anybody, my wife feels the same way about hers. Especially since we both only usually document things that emotionally affect us, mostly in a passionate, unreflected diction. From reading my diaries you could imply that I hate my work, hate my wife, hate my parents, hate my country etc. none of which is the case. For me it's a way to let of steam without having to speak to others. There is a reason why personal correspondence like this is private and should remain so. CNN behaved shamefully.
    Now if CNN had obtained internal memos of the ambassador requesting additional protection and being rebuffed/ignored by the POTUS or the State Department, I would consider that damning and a smoking gun that should be reported on.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Yep. I also see they could easy fan the flames as well as they are personal. It just proves to me that the mass media stop caring about the truth a long time ago and just want anything that makes the people angry.

I scream sue the pants off of them.

12. AhmedFaisal Guest

That being said, I am not surprised, they do post stolen sex tapes and/or use 500er tele-lenses to shoot celebrities naked on private property. It just surprises me that this type of lack of ethics filter has reached the more "serious" media like CNN and the NYTimes.