CNN sold to AT&T

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Snoopy4, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

So CNN is owned by Time Warner. Cuomo is having a meltdown on CNN right now. Maybe he’s worried he sucks so bad he’ll be out of a job.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Isn’t this like buying Blockbuster or AOL?

3. Snoopy4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Nah. AT&T is a going concern.

4. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

At&t should sell CNN to America Media inc. Would fit right in with their other publications.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

There's reason to be concerned about this deal regardless of how you feel about CNN.

6. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

Trouble with making bad arguments (often personalized and via Twitter) is that you CAN work against your own intents. This thread's very title focusing on a single subsidiary is symptom of a problem: people conflating issues through partisan lenses.

This TimeWarner/AT&T merger doesn't sit well with me, particularly just after the killing of net neutrality. This is about to unclog the roster of other mega-mergers that have waited in the wings for this result. From my non-MBA vantage, this private sector move seems as troubling as other governmental pro-corporate maneuvers that the MAGA set rubber stamps as victories because they are "wins" for the administration. And yes, neither "side" is immune. The only remedy is vigilance and challenging one's own predilections. It's unpleasant, tedious, time-consuming, and worth it.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Agreed. Many posts here are very short sighted. Odd that people here would be happy about the demise of net neutrality coupled with the news that a major pipe is now going to own a huge collection of media.

And ATT no less who is constantly getting slammed on the main forum for their draconian ways. But sure. Let's make this about CNN.

8. Snoopy4, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

Snoopy4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Meh. Wake me up when the coffee is ready.

9. Zenithal macrumors G3

It would be wise for ATT to throttle YouTube and Netflix now.

10. cube macrumors P6

You pay for 1Gbps, you get 1Gbps (if the server and other networks can).

11. Zenithal macrumors G3

And if you don't, you can change services. SLAs are only in effect on business lines as far as I'm aware. There is no law stopping ATT from throttling competitor services or charging a lot more than they did in the past to route traffic to these services.

My ISP, which isn't ATT and doesn't own a media company and isn't owned by one, states my service level can be as fast as 400 Mbps. It does not guarantee such a speed. I can ask for a truck rollout and have a tech look at it. They can lie all they want. I can change to ATT or FiOS. Whatever tickles my fancy. But there is no guarantee I won't be paying more down the line for the same level of service or that I don't have certain services throttled, or ports blocked.

12. cube macrumors P6

Which is wrong. Net neutrality FTW.

13. Zenithal macrumors G3

Net Neutrality is dead.

PS. I was for NN. I'm just pointing out what can happen now. While NN wasn't in effect up until recently, it caused companies to clean up their acts years ago. So if ATT wants to, they can heavily throttle traffic going to Fox or any conservative site, and thus paving way for more people to visit CNN.

14. cube macrumors P6

Change government.

15. Zenithal macrumors G3

We'll see.

16. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

After Fake News CNN’s performance against the President since 2016... they will never be able to increase ratings against Fox.

CNN has zero credibility as a viable news organization.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Do not project your feelings onto everyone. CNN has zero credibility to you.

I would bet that more people trust CNN than what the President says. And if that number is indeed lower, then that's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If that’s true, that’d put Fox and Sinclair at about a -500 on the credibility scale.

Come to think of it, even if it’s not true, Fox and Sinclair are at -500 on the credibility scale.