CNN threaten reddit user with doxing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by unlinked, Jul 5, 2017.

1. daflake macrumors 6502a

The fact that CNN went after an amature reddit poster was pretty stupid. CNN is needs a safe space I guess.

2. DanielDD macrumors 6502

So, let me get this straight. You have a president who retweeted a video from a self-admited troll named HanA**holeSolo that has posted racist and anti-semetic posts before, who basically threatened free press in the process.
    Worse, you have a president that seems to be worse than this self-admited troll, as he did not apologize for what happened.
    And this is what grinds your gears? If I were CNN I would sue the guy and the POTUS for slander and inciting violence

3. daflake macrumors 6502a

So let me get this straight, you are upset over a meme? Time to get off the internet. As for the rest of his posts, I have never followed the guy nor do I care about him. We are talking about one meme, the rest is just FUD to justify their response.

4. DanielDD macrumors 6502

Then why are you considering CNN to be threatening the guy? The meme is just a joke, so reveling the name of the guy who created it is fine, right?
    The POTUS endorsed the underlying message on the meme. It is clear that this has troubling consequences, as it threatens freedom of the press.

Either way, you just deflected. Trump's behavior is inexcusable

5. samcraig macrumors P6

So CNN was threatening the kid yet I see some of the same people (not in here yet) who claim the President wasn't threatening CNN and the rest of the media? OK.

6. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

It's called Trumpanzeeism, basically when a person has lost their moral compass and is willing to support a lying, cheating troll in order to get want they want.

7. DanielDD, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017

DanielDD macrumors 6502

His age is still unknown. That's speculation based on some subreddits. Based on his statement and the way he spoke during CNN's phone interview, it seems like he is much older than some people are portraying
    http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

How did I deflect? CNN posted the article of "how they found the true identity of the meme" and then threatened him to apologise or they would release his name. CNN had to strong arm some poor guy over a stupid meme. My hat is off to them, must have been a slow news day.

Now you bring Trump into the discussion... Well done!

Let me guess, you now think that I support Trump which is why you brought him up in this? Guess what? You would be wrong.

9. DanielDD, Jul 5, 2017

DanielDD macrumors 6502

I compared the behavior of Trump and CNN in this case. You quoted me, and completely disregarded this comparison and focused on the meme.
    This is not a stupid meme. The moment the president of the united states retweeted this, this became a clear message against freedom of press. If the creator of the meme endorses it again, then he is not endorsing a stupid meme. He is endorsing a dangerous message for american democracy. CNN holds every right to defend themselves against this.

By the way, you got that wrong. The guy apologized on his own, first on reddit, then on a CNN interview. CNN just reserved the right to release his name if he changes his mind.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

They threatened him? A weak argument could be made that is the case. Another explanation is simply that they implied that if he continues to post, they wouldn't feel the need to keep his name anonymous.

If you're going to believe CNN threatened him - but you insist Trump didn't threaten Comey (for example) then perhaps there's a bias there.

11. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

So, labelling something a "meme" is a Get Out of Jail Free card? So, you could create a picture with the text "Shoot the President", label it a meme, and everything is fine?

12. samcraig macrumors P6

It depends. Is the year 2016 or 2017? Because the answer will vary...

13. DanielDD macrumors 6502

There you go. Now nobody can say CNN threatened anyone. It was just a joke!

[​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Jul 5, 2017 ---

I'm going to say it again. This is not a stupid meme. The POTUS endorsed it, and in doing so it became a clear message with political meaning. Sharing this video now is sharing a message of threat to freedom of the press.

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Inciting violence? Kathy Griffin, holding mock Trump decapitated head. Multi Hollywood "stars" threaten violence on the sitting POTUS. Bernie bro attempts to assassinate GOP Senators. Crickets.

15 year old makes meme, Trump reposts meme. Inciting violence/destroying freedom of the press. o_O

15. daflake macrumors 6502a

He was told that if he did it again they would release his name. That is a threat is it not?

This is a meme, not real life. Life is about to get real boring if you guys think that he deserved what CNN did.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

A threat? I don't see it that way. Not entirely. It was a statement. If you see this as a threat, then you should probably concede that the meme was a threat and many of Trump's statements have been threats.

The kid or young adult needed some guidance wherever that came from. He did do the right thing and apologize. I do admit that the bigger fish is to blame. As per the thread I started, the president of the United States shouldn't be tweeting such garbage. That's not on the "kid" but obviously inspired Trump and his team. And if this kid is 15.. That says a lot about the maturity of Trump.

17. daflake macrumors 6502a

The thread was about CNN and the meme, not Trump, CNN and the meme. You brought Trump into this... Do I agree with Trump? Nope, but I don't agree with CNN either.

As for your other comment, he only apologized one day AFTER CNN found his identity out. Yeah, he did that out of the kindness of his heart. :rolleyes:

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Adding to my post: I believe the phrasing was that CNN reserves the right. That doesn't mean they would. It means they would make a determination if anything else was posted. That's not a threat. A warning isn't necc a threat. CNN could have and I believe would have had the right to release the name regardless of the apology. Would that have caused a backlash - CNN revealing who created the meme? Unlike the President - CNN at least shows some restraint.
    Much like all the trolling he did prior. Kindness.

19. daflake, Jul 5, 2017

daflake macrumors 6502a

Your Reality:

CNN: You need to apologize, that hurt.
    Solo: Sure, I am sorry, I will get right on that.

Reality:

CNN: We have your identity and will persue legal action against you if you don't apologize for making the meme.
    Solo: ****, I have been busted, I have no choice now.
    CNN: Oh, we are keeping your name on file just in case you decide to do it again and we will release it.
    Dude, it is Reddit, have you not been there? Lots of BS on there.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Neither is reality - both are your fabrications of what happened.

21. daflake macrumors 6502a

CNN posted the story, I didn't.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Dude - it's the internet and not a private conversation. Kids and adults need to understand that what they post publicly is out there. For everyone. There's no protected bubble because you have a screen name and password to a message board.

Actions have consequences. The guy got busted. It's not like he's doing jail time. Oh no. He apologized. The horror!
    Ok - please post CNN's article which shows exactly how it went down and that your retelling is exactly the same.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

This can't be real..

c'mon internet it's time to disrupt a little CNN

24. daflake macrumors 6502a

and some people need to learn to take a joke.... If pasting the CNN logo over the www smackdown with Trump is so offensive that CNN felt the need to track him down and hold him to the fire to apologize then everyone should be worried as it opens the door for anyone and everyone to attack people over stupid ****. It was a meme, nothing more but clearly CNN has no sense of humor.

I can't believe you guys are willing to back that.
    :rolleyes: *some peoples sarcasm meter must be broken*