CNN YouTube Debates: Anyone tuning in???

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by abijnk, Nov 28, 2007.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I watched the Democratic debate over the summer, pretty interesting format. Just wondering what people think about this new thing CNN and YouTube are doing, and any comments on the debate itself...

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Ron Paul is the only one on that podium giving straight answers.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Watched it on CNN-HD. Mitt Romney's cracks are starting to show. Front runners now are Huckabee, Giuliani, and McCain. Ron Paul, as always, was spot on point. He fielded a question on why he wouldn't run as an independent.

all the questions can be found here.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Especially Ron Paul. That man is the favorite of conspiracy theorists everywhere.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I caught pieces of it. Lots of booing and cheering at weird parts you wouldn't think deserved either. I liked it when they booed McCain for going off point though and making that Hitler reference. It's a shame, I used to like McCain, and in the past would have voted for him over Gore. None of them really seem like frontrunners though, and I can't see myself voting for any of them. No wonder Republicans hate their candidates and still choose none of the above, but the rest of us don't like the GOP at all right now anyway. I don't think Rudy will win, which is funny, because he actually might be able to win over Hillary with the moderates, but then, I don't understand why liberals want to elect Hillary either.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You are right and I noticed the republican crowd and candidates seem very pro-war and pro Jesus. Something doesn't add up right with the republicans these days.

8. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

This is the first republican primary debate I've watched so far this election. I usually just catch the Dems and such. It surprised the hell out of me to see the bible in a political debate... :confused:

McCain sounds like he has a screw loose. His stance on the war is....well, not mine ;)

It pretty much just pushed my vote even farther towards the left watching this thing. Anti-abortion, pro war(minus paul), ect....Hell, the only thing I liked really was their stance on taxes and the border.

9. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

And the Clinton camp planting questioners again evidently? This whole debate thing is getting pretty obnoxious now.

10. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Indeed, we should adopt the Russian model of a "managed democracy." Who shall we nominate for our United America party candidate?

11. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would agree that they are mostly pro-war. but I don't think they are pro Jesus, if they were, then maybe they would follow some of what he said, in which case they probably would not be pro war. all they are doing is trying to get far right radical "Christians" that haven't read or at least paid attention to anything in context that is in the Bible.

12. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Hey, the democrats are going to vote for president too. Whats wrong with asking questions from a Dem POV? and that goes both ways too...
    Im all for planted questions from the other side as long as the candidate can answer them honestly.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

As long as the person indicates that they are a plant of another candidate, I don't care.

14. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

It definitely does seem like there are a lot of contradictions in the Grand Old Party these days. It makes it tough to find someone to vote for.

I don't think they are going after the far right radical "Christians" at all. To me it seems they are courting the average non-political conservative Christian who finds such topics as abortion, gay-marriage, supporting the troops, and immigration to be the major concerns for the country.

Why do you care who the questioner is? I want my candidates to be subjected to the most difficult questions so that I can see how they will answer. I would much rather have the candidates answer difficult questions than questions from someone in their own camp that simply set up talking points.

15. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

"Hello, I have a planted question from the McCain camp"... :confused:

Just ask the question, dont care if its planted.
    Does it really make a difference weather the question is planted or not?
    All that really matters is that they answer honestly without dodging.

The real problem is when the politicians plant questions to be asked to themselves.

Actually, I would love to see a debate that has an entire audience from the opposing political side...

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's a sad day when what someone does in their personal life is a "major concern" for the country.

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I rolled over laughing at Romney and his failure to answer the Bible question. He blushed and danced around that one... either you believe it is the literal word of God or you don't. Simple enough. :D

Ron Paul, as always, says things loud and & proud. He is the sole reason why I will tuck my tail and register (R) for the primaries.

18. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

To his credit, or dis-credit as you may chose to see it, he is mormon. Quite different from the other guys who have a more 'mainstream' and open faith.

19. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Ron Paul is pretty much a straight up badass.

20. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

He might be straight forward in debates and not dodge questions and whatnot, but his views are so far off mainstream he doesn't stand a chance.

I mean seariously, get rid of D of Energy and D of Education??? Homeland security I'll give him, but seriously now...

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

fixed it for you :D

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I already know I like none of these guys, so I didn't bother. I read about it in the paper today though- very predictable. None of them are good.

23. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I really do not see abortion or gay marriage as personal life issues. Abortion affects the lives of at least three living creatures (mom, dad, fetus) and since the fetus can't speak for itself, the rights alloted to it bring forth questions outside of private life. Gay marriage involves the state since currently anyone can perform religious/personal marriages with anyone they want to. The marriages just have no legal standing nor the rights that accompany legal marriages in the eyes of the nation. This fact brings the issue out from personal life and into the public sector in more of an equal rights issue.

I understand that many do not agree with the typical republican stances on these issues (I myself do not agree with many of them) but that doesn't mean that the issues are simply private life issues that should be ignored.

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

Props to General Kerr for being courageous enough to out himself and bring up the issue of DA,DT in a room full of people who secretly hate him. And some not so secretly...

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

There, fixed that for you again.