CO2 intensity reduction of emissions, a good idea?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Eraserhead, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was reading an article on the BBC earlier about China talking about Climate change, and how the Chinese are currently following a policy of reducing the intensity of carbon emissions per dollar of GDP.

And from the article we get the following:

Actually although I don't want to accept Bush had a good idea (;)) I kinda like the idea. What I think is great about carbon intensity is that you can get developing nations and developed nations to sign up for the same target, which is fair, and you'll still allow developing countries to grow and give them a target to meet.

Of course a disadvantage is that it doesn't force emissions to be cut, but if the target was strict enough that should happen overall anyway?

So what are everyone's thoughts?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is better than hard restrictions for sure, but its kind of hypocritical for us to go through an industrial boom and then try to close the pipe on other developing nations. We really don't have a platform to walk on IMO. If the other nations want to join voluntarily that is their choice, I do not think we should be doing any form of compensation or restrictions based on their choices though.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, the early industrial US (basically New England) used mostly water power anyway, so burning large amounts of coal wasn't necessary. It did wonders for the air quality compared to that of the industrial cities in Old England.