Coach paid kid to hurt disabled teammate

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
this is so disgusting.

i don't know what they're gonna do to this coach, but i hope he gets exactly what's coming to him.

this sort of thing makes me sick..

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
T-ball?!?! Before I thought that people could stoop no lower, I was proved wrong. Very wrong...

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
I do not know what to say, sport is taken fare to seriously everywhere, perhaps if our professional athletes set a better example it would not come to this it is all about winning instead of just having fun like it used to be

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I could think of more nefarious means, but the thought itself is sickening, but to do it to a mentally handicapped person is inexcusable. Lifetime ban from coaching and teaching minors is in order.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
Mechcozmo said:
I wonder if we know the entire story?

Sounds horrible though.
What circumstances can you think of that would mitigate that? Even thinking of that idea is pretty sick, but to carry it out is truly appalling.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
barneygumble said:
I do not know what to say, sport is taken fare to seriously everywhere, perhaps if our professional athletes set a better example it would not come to this it is all about winning instead of just having fun like it used to be
I don't agree. Professional athletes are paid to win, not to have fun. I play semi-pro baseball. The league is very competitive. I play to win because winning is fun for me. I do not go as far as to violate the rules or intentionally hurt people though. If I wanted to play just to play, I'd play in more of a recreational league or a beer league. T-ball is more of a recreational league and cannot be compared to Professional sports or any competitive league.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
And how old are the kids playing T-Ball? This isn't right - and I'm sure the parents of the kid who were hit might go after the idiot as well. This is just so sad....

D

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
grapes911 said:
I don't agree. Professional athletes are paid to win, not to have fun. I play semi-pro baseball. The league is very competitive. I play to win because winning is fun for me. I do not go as far as to violate the rules or intentionally hurt people though. If I wanted to play just to play, I'd play in more of a recreational league or a beer league. T-ball is more of a recreational league and cannot be compared to Professional sports or any competitive league.
True, but I think that the Tiger Woods/Williams sisters idea has made a lot of parents look at their little children as future superstars if only they push them every single day to become so. There are a lot of these stories about adults taking children's sports way too seriously. Professional sports set certain tones and gives us certain idols, for both coaches and athletes. I don't think that's the fault of professional sports though. I think it's the fault of adults who misinterpret that professionalism as something that's appropriate for children.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The punishment should be this ---- he should be hit until he's mentally disabled. And THEN he should be made to play T-ball. We can watch how good he can play with a disability.

Then we should hit him with baseballs. And hammers.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
miloblithe said:
I don't think that's the fault of professional sports though. I think it's the fault of adults who misinterpret that professionalism as something that's appropriate for children.
I couldn't have said it any better myself. :cool:

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Mechcozmo said:
I wonder if we know the entire story?

Sounds horrible though.
I'm a little skeptical myself, I think there is more to this story than we've heard. I'm not saying I think he is innocent, but I think there is more to the story.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
that is kind of low. i sucked at t-ball. i was always put way back in the line-up and outfield and the coaches really only cared about the good players, and never tried to encourages me. however, they just cut me for next season (for baseball), they never tried to hurt me.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Original poster
MacDawg said:
I'm a little skeptical myself, I think there is more to this story than we've heard. I'm not saying I think he is innocent, but I think there is more to the story.
I'm usually pretty skeptical about news stories that defy the mind, or the potential (good or bad) of human beings. But I don't know what else could be behind this story. I tried to do a Google search to find more info but didn't really find anything. Maybe there's a MacRumors member from the area who knows a little more.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
That is just plain sickening. Regardless of him wanting to win or not, what happened to children's sports being for the children!?

Crazy, I sure hope he gets something awful, he deserves it (the coach). I hope the kid gets lectured too so he doesn't think things like that are alright.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
superbovine said:
that is kind of low. i sucked at t-ball. i was always put way back in the line-up and outfield and the coaches really only cared about the good players, and never tried to encourages me. however, they just cut me for next season (for baseball), they never tried to hurt me.
T-ball is what -- 6 and 7 year olds? The coaches were concerned about winning?!?

I spent time coaching and umping little league -- in our league we never kept score in T-Ball - every game turned out to be a tie.

ANY kid who wanted to play could play, and every kid got equal field time and rotated through positions. Catcher and pitcher in Minors were the only skill-limited positions for obvious reasons (there is no pitcher and catcher in T-Ball). No kid was allowed to be "cut" unless there were severe discipline problems, and that had to go through the league.

We had league executives at each game, too, who could (and did) eject parents and spectators from the park for being obnoxious or insulting.