Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samiwas, Aug 28, 2012.

1. samiwas macrumors 65816

This story came across my Facebook wall today, and I found it interesting, and a little maddening. I don't know the legitimacy of this site, but a quick web search seemed to say it was legit.

The Raw Story: Coal miners say they were forced to attend Romney event and donate

If this last but is true, I find it hard to believe that anyone could take someone like this seriously. It was "mandatory" but no one was "forced"? So "do this or you'll lose your job" is completely different from holding a gun to their head and walking them to the site, so it's okay, right? We're a private employer so we can treat people like crap if we want to?

I actually saw the original news story with Mitt and the workers behind him. I kept saying to myself "For workers who support Romney, they certainly don't look very happy to be there."

But my biggest beef with this whole thing is that they were required to be there, at the job site, but were not paid for the day because they didn't actually work. That really irks me.

I know there are quite a few people, including several on this forum, who will see this as the free market at work. If those workers don't like it, they should leave. It's a mutual decision between employer and employee. They have no right to pay when they didn't work. Stuff like that.

Doesn't matter to me...this just shows the power that employers can hold over employees who need their job and can't afford to give it up. Employers know this and take massive advantage of people. It's sickening to me. This is exactly the type of crap that unions formed to protect.

Can anyone actually support this reasonably?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I don't support that and further this is going to bite romney in the rear-end badly if true.

3. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

The source of this story is a "liberal blog". I guess that qualifies them as completely impartial.

"Liberal blog" is not my quote. It is attributed to the well known journalist Howard Kurtz, who is not known as a conservative supporter in any way.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sorry to inform you, but it's in the mainstream press in Ohio.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2012/08/coal_miners_lost_pay_when_mitt.html

5. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Fair enough. I was curious and checked the source of the linked story.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And seeing how much Ohio has been taunted as one of, if not the biggest swing state for this election, this has the potential to really bite Romney in the ass.

Not a good move at all; however, for it to be completely effective, news of this needs to travel fast and swiftly throughout the entire state, including rural areas. Keeping it urban (read: only in the cities) doesn't help much.

BL.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It also needs to be picked up by the national news outlets.

Except Faux Neus. They will debunk it using the RDF device stolen from Steve jobs.

8. localoid, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It's a time honored tradition in the coal fields...

Back in the good ol' days of the Robber Baron Era the coal operators would gather up their employees, hand each man a list of who to vote for, promise them a pint of whiskey, and then load them up in the back of a wagon and haul them to the polling places located all 'round the county.

If a miner didn't want to participate, they lost their job. Since they lived in company housing, the miner and his entire family ended up homeless by sunset, with no change of finding work anywhere nearby, since the company placed their names on a blackball list that was shared with the members in the local coal operators' association.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yep and I would say force romney to give back all the money and have some people face some jail time as this is illegal and cross so many lines.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Well This still goes on today with unions. 2 second search on google brought back tons of these kind of tactics unions pressure members to support a democrat.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/gop-files-complaint-charging-voting-violations-by-unions-106309833.html
    http://www.nationalreview.com/battl...ion-violations-secretary-state-elizabeth-crum
    http://exposethemedia.com/2012/07/06/nea-convention-looked-more-like-an-obama-re-election-rally/
    http://ohio.mediatrackers.org/2012/07/17/ohio-teachers-forced-dues-fund-online-leftism/
    http://times247.com/articles/obama-love-fest-at-annual-teacher-s-convention
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...hers-uneasy-at-obama-themed-union-convention/
    http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2012/06/republican-teachers-forced-to-support.html

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I cannot parse this:
    ... the Romney event was mandatory and would be without pay, that the hours spent there would need to be made up my non-salaried employees outside of regular working hours, with the only other option being to take a pay cut for the equivalent time​

If they were not being paid for the rally, how could they take a pay cut for pay they were not getting? Would the company dock their checks additionally for time equivalent to the length of the rally? And would that not be theft?

Seems likely to me that Murray, Romney and the RNC will put their PR teams together to walk this one back, unless the workers are willing to risk being vocal and persistent. Expect a lot of vehement poo-pooing from the RW noise machine.

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes exactly! And while we are at it lets have Obama return all that union money that come from the dues of members that are forced to be in a union that supports democrats. Lets throw them all in jail. :rolleyes:

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

by that logic you you can not have any company give money to a canidated as you work for them and it takes money out of your pocket.

I love how the GOP lovers here are trying to justify a company making their employees go to a rally and donate their money to a canidate or face punishment.

Now officially they may of not had a punishment but sure as hell there would be punishments if not officially there. If they need to cut some staff you can bet who's name would be first on the chopping block.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Did you actually bother to read or even skim the links that you posted?

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Back in the 1820s and 1830s, voting in Canada was not private. Candidates would openly court voters who voted against them or their party in the previous election with alcohol and empty promises.

There's a long tradition of vote buying but that doesn't make it right.

16. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Well you are wrong. Corporations give "their" money to politicians and they do it for "both" parties. They do not give MY money from MY salary to politicians.

I do not "work" for a union. I'm forced to be in a member in a union to have my job. Union dues come out of MY salary and go towards political causes I do not believe in.

There is a BIG difference between the two.

You can not sit here and be ignorant to the fact that some states force you to be in unions and those unions support democrats. Hopefully we can get more states to pass right-to-work laws so people have the freedom of choice.

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Well of course... There's been an undeclared civil war going on between labor and management in this country since the end of the Civil War (with a capital C&W) through present-day. And extremists on both ends of the conflict have always believed that all's fair in war...

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You still can not seperated out the fact that your company that you work for is requiring you to donate money to a campaign and attend the events unpaid.

But then again you do love the GOP and love giving up your rights.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"Forced"? Just move. Go to one of those RtW states where you can find a non-unionized job in your field. Or retrain to work in a field where you can avoid unionization. That is the way of the free market, after all.

No one is "forcing" you but yourself.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Trade miners for welfare recipients and you nail the liberal voting strategy.

21. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

As someone mentioned above, I'm not even sure you read the articles from any of the links you posted. Two were about Republicans accusing some unions of strongarming their workers into voting a certain way, but that there was no evidence and investigations were dropped.

There was one that was an obvious right-wing slant-job that was barely intelligible in its ramblings.

And most were the same blurb rewritten in different publications about the teachers convention, and how a dozen or so teachers felt marginalized for wanting to vote for Romney. They never said that they were being required to vote for anyone or that they would lose their jobs over it.

Pretty much all of the situations you posted were either accusations from outsiders of another group, or a group itself suggesting that its members vote a certain way.

This is quite different from an employer requiring its workers to attend a political rally, at their job site, unpaid, or risk losing their jobs. A big difference here, also, is that instead of the reports being based on accusations from opponents, the reports are based on first-hand testimony from the people involved.

22. leekohler, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh please. This is beyond dishonest. Are you seriously trying to say that liberals force welfare recipients to go to political rallies?

For once, I would like to see conservatives come in here and say, "Hey, ya know what? This is wrong and pretty much illegal." But you never do. Not even Calwizrd did.

What will most likely happen is that some of these miners will lose their jobs once they're found out. So, I can only conclude that you agree with said action by the mining company. Silence sometimes speaks volumes.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I tried to read through some of them, but it was blatantly obvious that they were trash references, not material that was cited for merit. That's obviously not the same as quoting an article for context or citing a section of it with comments to encourage discussion.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Agreed