Coal museum to be powered by solar.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

In the biggest sign of irony yet, the coal museum in Kentucky will be powered by solar panels.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-kentucky-coal-museum-going-solar/100205662/#

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

How big of a house do you have to have to get $600 electric bill?

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

If you have central air it doesn't take much.

4. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

They forgot to mention that the actual installation is being done by Pablo and Juan.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Depends on the price of electricity. As well as if you have to run an air conditioner, or if your heat is electric. Even a small house running air conditioning can easily get there in the summer.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

here in austria we have a former nuclear power plant 'museum' operating as solar power plant since 2009
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwentendorf_Nuclear_Power_Plant

The nuclear power plant was never switched on after constuction finished after a austrian wide referendum voted with 50,47% against turning it in 1978.
    After Three Mile island and Chernobyl there never was a majority for nuclear power plants in a poll and since 1999 they are banned by constitutional law.

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

My bills in NJ would be mid-400s in the summer before I got solar panels. We have neighbors with houses twice our size. I'm sure they hit $600 easily in the summer.

8. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

What?

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I guess I must just be a tight wad, highest I can remember is around $200 but that was in the winter with electric heat and poorly insulated apartment.

10. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I have whole-house air conditioning. I just checked the bill for the hottest month last year (August) and the electric portion is $48.88 including all taxes. In fact, I voluntarily pay a higher rate in order to subsidize green energy.

upload_2017-4-12_18-7-44.png

I can't even comprehend these numbers you guys are talking about. $600 per month? You are getting Enron'd or something.

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I pay less than $50/month.
    Last month I paid $23.

12. PracticalMac, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Will coal miners finally get the hint?

Even the Kentucky Coal Museum is going solar

When even a museum to your industry has to go renewable because other forms are more expensive, that should tell you to look at career options.

Especially since Mitch McConnell (R-KT) is not going to help them, Congress will not help them, repeal of ACA will get rid of substantial coal miner provisions, NG is rapidly taking over Coal as cheapest source, Nuclear power may be back, and no steel for Keystone XL pipe (among others).
    Oh, and there is almost nothing Trump can do by himself (outside ending some Obama EO).

It is somewhat sad by some perspectives, but change is inevitable.

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Also...
    http://www.npr.org/2017/04/17/52376...-coal-friendly-kentucky-to-embrace-renewables

14. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Couldn't help but notice that they didn't mention the initial cost of the solar panels. I'm sure there will be savings somewhere down the line...but how far down the line are we talking?

15. PracticalMac, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Panels can recoup costs in 5 to 10 years (less with more sun), and last at least 20 years.
    Also has the lowest maintenance cost of any power source (or almost lowest).

16. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

But Trump said he going to save the jobs and Trump is very pro fossil fuels. And with both house having full republican there is nothing the democratic party can say to get US of fossil fuels.

Trump does not even support climate change so he going to support fossil fuels. That means other 5 to 10 years of fossil fuels not even cutting back by little bit if not more.

17. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I am specific about Coal.
    Other fossil fuels are the main cause for coal's decline, renewable are just adding to decline (Also decline in steel production).

So yes, Trump will turn on tap for all Fossil fuels, but that will only hurt coal more

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Driving down south on vacation the last few years, I've had a couple of occasions to pass through West Virginia and see large signs decrying President Obama's so-called "war on coal". I'm therefore under no delusion that coal miners are about to "get the hint". Unfortunately, the bubble down there is hermetically sealed. They do not seem receptive to the idea that theirs is a dying industry.

Perhaps somewhere in Japan there's a town still trying to save their VHS tape factories...

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

VHS in Japan has sunk a few months ago.

And it takes time for miners to get to surface, clean up, and see the sun.
    I guess July when you hear the first sounds of despair.

20. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

In my area (near Wyoming) coal is getting pinched hard here by a huge abundance of natural gas. Many of the large power plants are switching over as time goes on. Natural gas is much cleaner and much less labor intensive to harvest and get to the power plants. They have so much natural gas a lot of it just gets burnt off by huge torches in North Dakota. It's a shame!

21. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Wait...its a coal museum, not a coal market. There's no irony here. Here's how we used to do things....

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I used to live in a poorly insulated apartment in a wooden building with single-pane wood windows in Boston, about 1250sqft, 2nd floor with only lobby below. Central electric heat and a/c, electric hot water, electric stove. During cold winter months, $600+ was possible.

When the landlord finally updated the windows to be double-pane and vinyl and modern-ish, our electric bill dropped significantly, but was still high due to the crap walls.

23. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I used to pay 360 in the summer when I had fish.

95 gallon reef, 579 gallon NANFA, 2x 55 gallon African rift tanks, 120 gallon South American.

24. MarkusL macrumors 6502

It's not completely unprecedented either. Where I live there are several museums dedicated to the deeds and works of people who are now dead, yet those museums are all staffed by the living.