Coca-Cola Superbowl ad

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Very cool ad. America the Beautiful sung in multiple languages, well done.

Unfortunately your average peanut IQ rightwing Superbowl watching AMURR'CA redneck - including my own sister - thought it was offensive and disgraceful.

What's wrong with 50% of this country?

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Personally I liked it. I liked how it didn't focus much on the Coca-Cola name as much. They only showed it like a few times and it was really subtle. Like the guy drinking from the Coke cup but his hand was covering most of the logo except the top of the bottle.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I didn't even think for a second that it could be offensive, until I logged onto facebook and sure enough saw every truck driving, has no money but votes for the party of millionaires, untraveled, small town thinking, gun toting religious simple mind bitching about it.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Do people not realize the Super Bowl isn't just a big deal in the states anymore? People watch this all over the world. Do people also not realize coke isn't exclusive to the US? Coke is in over 200 countries

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Believe me, I know all too much about people making something out of nothing. That's all this country is about these days.
Missing the point that the people are "making something out of nothing" are the ones railing against a song being sung in foreign languages.

:rolleyes:

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I didn't even think for a second that it could be offensive, until I logged onto facebook and sure enough saw every truck driving, has no money but votes for the party of millionaires, untraveled, small town thinking, gun toting religious simple mind bitching about it.
I knew it would piss people off halfway through the commercial. People in this country can be ****ing morons sometimes.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Hmm…

A land "discovered" by a Hispanic…*

.. and named after an Italian…

.. And these people are complaining about speaking ENGLISH?!!?!?

No offense to the OP's sister, but these people are absolute idiots for ignoring/disregarding their history, and their views are as antiquated as the Rolling Stones, and they aren't that far off to being the oldest stones on the planet.

And we wonder what is wrong with this country.

BL.

*The conversation about Natives being here first is for another time and thread.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
I really don't care what language we speak in this country but it makes things a bit simpler if everyone agrees on one.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I really don't what language we speak in this country but it makes things a bit simpler if everyone agrees on one.
I agree.

Our National language is English, though it is not our official language. In fact, this country has NO official language.. As it should be.

Call me a free thinker on this, but St. Ambrose said it best:

si fueris Rōmae, Rōmānō vīvitō mōre; si fueris alibī, vīvitō sicut ibi
Roughly translates to "“if you were in Rome, live in the Roman way; if you are elsewhere, live as they do there”. In short, when in Rome, do as the Romans do; Adapt yourself to the customs of the places you visit.

If you want to live here, at least learn the language, or attempt to learn it; that way, not only does it help you to understand us, but it helps us to understand you so that we may defend your right to speak your language.

BL.