Coco Lands at…………TBS

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Told you FOX would never happen. :p

Link

And the winner of the Conan O'Brien sweepstakes is ... TBS.

According to a press release sent out by the cable network (which, like CNN, is a unit of Time Warner), the comedian is joining TBS to host a late-night show that is expected to debut in November. O'Brien's show will be followed on TBS' schedule by George Lopez's "Lopez Tonight," which will move to midnight.

"In three months I've gone from network television to Twitter to performing live in theater, and now I'm headed to basic cable," O'Brien said in the statement. "My plan is working perfectly."

He also Tweeted Monday: "The good news: I will be doing a show on TBS starting in November! The bad news: I'll be playing Rudy on the all new Cosby Show."

O'Brien is currently embarking on a nationwide comedy tour, but he made bigger headlines earlier this year when NBC decided to move Jay Leno back to "The Tonight Show's" late-night slot. O'Brien, who had been hosting "Tonight," left the network.

Since his departure at the end of February, O'Brien has joined Twitter and decided to follow someone at random; launched a 32-city comedy tour (which will include much of his "Tonight Show" crew); and been the subject of countless rumors as to where he will land when a non-compete clause with NBC is over.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
O'Brien's show will be followed on TBS' schedule by George Lopez's "Lopez Tonight," which will move to midnight.
So, basically what Conan didn't like Leno doing to him on NBC he is now doing to George Lopez on TBS? Hmm...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Conan's new show will get a lot of publicity in the fall since TBS shows the MLB playoffs. Anything is better than NBC and I'm sure TBS will give him a lot of leeway.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Tbs!

I cant believe TBS is still around!

Anybody remember "Dinner and a Movie"?

I would watch that with my dad when I was younger

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
With Paul and Annabelle.

Other than Braves baseball does TBS ever show anything original? My current perception of TBS is "the rerun channel" that occasionally shows Titanic.
I don't think they show Braves baseball anymore. They did pick up one of the national baseball packages that I don't know who watches. Besides their playoff coverage that is horrible the only thing I watch on TBS is Family Guy reruns.

Maybe they will move Conan to Adult Swim since it is all under the same umbrella.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Conan's new show will get a lot of publicity in the fall since TBS shows the MLB playoffs. Anything is better than NBC and I'm sure TBS will give him a lot of leeway.

Nice spin. He went from the premier hosting gig on TV to a basic cable channel. I feel bad for the guy.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Nice spin. He went from the premier hosting gig on TV to a basic cable channel. I feel bad for the guy.
I would not call NBC a premiere network anymore. They rank 4th in just about every ratings period.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If TBS gives him enough lee-way he'll probably like this gig a lot better anyways, I loved conan before he went to the late show. They tried to jam a square peg in a circular hole.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The big question here, of course -- does this mean the Masturbating Bear will make a comeback?
Not as the masterbating bear, that is owned by NBC. Maybe you would see the jacking off gopher.

Conan will have to start off from scratch with new material.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
I would not call NBC a premiere network anymore. They rank 4th in just about every ratings period.
I didn't call them a premier network. I said premier hosting gig.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Not as the masterbating bear, that is owned by NBC. Maybe you would see the jacking off gopher.

Conan will have to start off from scratch with new material.
What the hell does NBC want with the masturbating bear? Are they giving that to Jay too? :rolleyes:

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So, basically what Conan didn't like Leno doing to him on NBC he is now doing to George Lopez on TBS? Hmm...
Actually, I've read that George Lopez called Conan and asked him to come to TBS, and to even take his timeslot because of the kick-ass lead in that Conan will give his show. This will only help Lopez's ratings.

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/418324_tvgif12.html

An excerpt:
Lopez, 48, personally called the deposed Tonight Show host last week to ask him to join the cable network's late-night lineup, saying he would happily cede the 11/10c timeslot his Lopez Tonight chatfest currently inhabits to O'Brien.

"I can't think of anything better than doing my show with Conan as my lead-in," Lopez said in a statement. "It's the beginning of a new era in late-night comedy."

Lopez reiterated his excitement on Twitter: "I welcome @conanObrien to his new home at TBS .. A new generation of late night is about to begin !!"

A new era also needs a new name: "Team Lo-Co," Lopez tweeted.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
The big question here, of course -- does this mean the Masturbating Bear will make a comeback?
I think NBC owns MB. Maybe masturbating ostrich?

Actually, I've read that George Lopez called Conan and asked him to come to TBS, and to even take his timeslot because of the kick-ass lead in that Conan will give his show. This will only help Lopez's ratings.

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/418324_tvgif12.html

An excerpt:
yep, Lopez is not stupid. He knew that this would bring a cortizon shot to his dying show

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
George Lopez said:
A new era also needs a new name: "Team Lo-Co," Lopez tweeted.
That would work if Lopez aired at 11 and Coco at 12. Damn dyslexic Mexican. :p

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I think NBC owns MB. Maybe masturbating ostrich?
jackoff jackalope? masturbating manatee?

I wonder if he will buy them back from them. Stern did the same thing when he went to satellite, it just took a little bit of time to get the logistics worked out.